University of California - Hastings College of the Law, J.D., cum laude, 2007
University of Notre Dame, B.A., History, magna cum laude, 2004
Brian Coughlan is an associate in the Banking and Financial Services Department and a member of the firm’s Commercial Lending Group and Private Equity and Hedge Fund Group. He possesses substantial experience in complex commercial financings, including syndicated and single-bank lending transactions (secured and unsecured). He often represents major financial institutions, including national banks, hedge funds and finance companies. His practice includes domestic and cross-border financings, particularly including foreign collateral to support domestic credit facilities. Brian’s experience also extends to representing financial institutions in credit restructurings, representing hedge funds in general corporate matters and representing portfolio companies in day-to-day business matters. In addition, Brian has represented microlenders in connection with loans to small businesses. Brian joined the firm in 2007.
- Counsel to bank in connection with $210 million and €30 million cross-border credit facility to international agricultural producer.
- Counsel to hedge fund lender in connection with $73 million cross-border credit facility to online retailer.
- Counsel to hedge fund lender in connection with $28.5 million construction financing facility to biotechnology company.
- Counsel to bank in connection with $50 million acquisition financing to sponsor portfolio company used to effectuate purchase of internet search engine.
- Counsel to administrative agent in connection with $62 million credit facility to coal company.
- Counsel to beef packing plant in connection with $30 million ABL facility.
- “Features and Issues in Middle Market Non-Bank Lending,” Chapman and Cutler CLE Marathon, May 2015.