Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2009
- Notes Editor, Syracuse Law Review
- Associate Editor, The Labor Lawyer
Syracuse University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2006
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2012
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 2015
Turnaround Management Association
Chicago Bar Association
- Legislative Liaison, Commercial Litigation Committee
Illinois State Bar Association
Bryan Jacobson is an associate in Chapman and Cutler's Banking and Financial Services Department and a member of the Litigation Group. He has experience representing corporate clients and individuals at the state and federal level in a variety of complex litigation matters involving bankruptcy, banking, consumer finance, contract disputes, trust and fiduciary duties, and general commercial lending and restructuring issues.
Prior to joining the firm, Bryan served as Senior Law Clerk to the Honorable Justice Stuart J. Palmer at the Illinois Court of Appeals, First District.
- Representation of major national and local lending institutions on numerous multi-million dollar credit facilities in state and federal court.
- Successfully defended institutional client against breach of fiduciary duty allegations relating to administration of trust at trial and appellate court levels.
- Obtained dismissal of multi-million dollar breach of contract and consumer fraud claims against national Chicago-based bank.
- Negotiated complex multi-million dollar recovery in favor of secured creditor within Chapter 11 corporate debtor’s plan of reorganization.
- Obtained $7 million judgment on counterclaim against banking client borrowers that asserted numerous affirmative defenses.
- Advised institutional co-trustee on a number of construction and corporate fiduciary risk issues.
- Successful pro bono representation of qualified individuals seeking Executive Clemency in proceedings before the Illinois Prison Review Board.
- Co-Author, "The Seventh Circuit Ups the Ante in an Instructive Decision Affirming the Power of Bankruptcy Courts to Stay Litigation," Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law. April/May 2016.
- Co-Author, "Seventh Circuit Holds Illinois Tax Sales May Be Set Aside as Fraudulent Transfers," Client Alert. January 27, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Hidden Mortgagor-Tenants in Ill. Commercial Properties," Law360. November 16, 2015.
- Co-Author, "Judgment Creditors: How Building a Strong Record During Citation Proceedings Can Pay Dividends in Bankruptcy," Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law. September 2015.
- Co-Author, "If It Walks Like a Duck…In Re Duckworth: Another Warning to Lenders to Take Care in Drafting Security Documents," Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law. February/March 2015.
- Co-Author, "To Have and to Hold: Update on Litigation Holds in Light of Corinthians," Chapman Sidebar. July 16, 2014.
- Co-Author, "The Dangers of Ambiguities in Negotiating Settlement Agreements," Chapman Sidebar. May 28, 2014.
- Co-Author, "Senate Bill 56 (735 ILCS 5/9-207.5): New Protections Offered to Illinois Renters," Client Alert. September 3, 2013.
- Co-Author, “Protecting Tenants in Foreclosed Rental Property Ordinance: What Lenders Need to Know," Client Alert. August 20, 2013.
Honors & Awards
- Selected as a 2016 "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers
- Chapman and Cutler's Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2012 – 2015