- Bank Mergers and Acquisitions and Regulatory Applications
- Bank Regulatory Matters
- Corporate Counseling
- Financial Advisor Retention
- General Compliance Activities
- General Corporate
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Private Equity and Hedge Funds
- Private Funds: Investor Representation
- Secondary Market Transactions
Monash University, Melbourne, Australia, LL.B., summa cum laude, 2003
Monash University, Melbourne, Australia, B.A. summa cum laude, 1999
Supreme Court of Victoria and High Court of Australia
Cathy Rossouw is senior counsel in Chapman and Cutler's Banking and Financial Services Department in the firm's New York City office.
Cathy represents hedge funds, private equity funds, investment banks, and other financial institutions in connection with a variety of corporate transactions and compliance matters. She works with buyers and sellers in private equity investments, public and private company mergers, venture capital investments, inter-company restructurings, leveraged buy-outs, and secondary market, lending, and asset and stock sale transactions. She also has experience with FCPA-related investigations.
Prior to joining Chapman in 2014, Cathy was a member of the Corporate Department at Richards Kibbe & Orbe LLP, and she spent four years as an associate with the Corporate M&A Practice Group at Ropes & Gray LLP. She also practiced at the "Global 100" firm Minter Ellison in her hometown of Melbourne, Australia.
Cathy's prior experience includes the representation of clients in the following matters:
Private Equity and Hedge Funds
- Represented a New York private equity sponsor in the purchase of a precision injection molding company with operations in the US, UK and China
- Represented a private equity sponsor in the purchase of bank loans and the related equity foreclosure action to become the owner of a Pennsylvania based logistics company
- Represented a financial services holding company in connection with a corporate restructuring involving a real estate portfolio
- Represented a Canadian private equity sponsor in the purchase of a major equity interest in a US based gaming company
- Represented a New York hedge fund in connection with the sale of a Mexico based manufacturing company
- Represented a Texas private equity firm in connection with a bid to purchase a chemical manufacturer in a Section 363 auction
- Represented an alternative asset manager in a $167 million recapitalization
- Represented a private equity fund in the $80 million purchase of a national chain of franchised businesses
- Represented a major hedge fund in relation to a $37 million loan transaction in Brazil
- Represented a private equity fund in a $22 million tender offer for limited partnership interests
- Assisted a hedge fund client with the unwinding of a real estate joint venture in California, including negotiating back-to-back exit agreements with co-investors
- Advised a client in relation to the establishment and initial fund raising of new hedge fund operating domestically and offshore using a master/feeder structure
Loans and Secondary Market
- Represented a life sciences hedge fund in connection with purchasing warrants alongside a senior secured loan to a cancer treatment development company
- Represented a New York hedge fund in connection with purchasing warrants alongside a $37.5 million senior secured term loan to a coal mining company
- Advised a banking client in relation to the establishment of a bespoke loan financing platform, including analysis of the regulatory framework
- Advised a major hedge fund client in a $55 million secondary auction of limited partnership interests with over 100 sellers
- Advised a financial services client in relation to a competitive auction of a real estate loan portfolio
- Represented the lead investor in a $150 million venture capital financing for a technology company
- Represented start-up companies in initial equity raises for clients
- Represented an emerging internet company in an initial $1 million equity raise using a SAFE instrument
- Co-Author, "Convertible Preferred Stock: How Preferred Is It? (Part Two)," The Hedge Fund Law Report. January 9, 2014.
- Co-Author, "Convertible Preferred Stock: How Preferred Is It? (Part One)," The Hedge Fund Law Report. December 19, 2013.
- Co-Author, "From Lender to Shareholder: How to Make Your Equity Work Harder for You," The Hedge Fund Law Report. May 21, 2010.