University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D., 1982
Hamilton College, A.B., Government, 1979
- American Bar Association
- American College of Investment Counsel
Ed Sommer has been practicing law since 1982, when he joined Chapman and Cutler LLP. As a member of the Asset Securitization Department, Ed has represented investors, issuers and servicers in a variety of asset-backed and other structured transactions. His experience includes handling securitizations involving equipment leases, consumer and commercial loans, vehicle leases and loans, trade receivables, timeshare interests, railcars, structured settlements and other assets.
In addition to his experience handling structured financings, Ed has represented institutional investors in a wide range of private placement transactions, including direct unsecured and secured debt financings, leveraged leases and issuances of equity securities. Issuers have included domestic and foreign enterprises engaged in a myriad of businesses, including manufacturers, financial service providers, sports franchises, retailers, transportation companies and communications companies.
Ed served from 1988 until 1993 as the Chairman of the Subcommittee of Lease Financings and Secured Transactions of the Section of Business Law of the American Bar Association.
- Representation of Fortune 100 company in securitizations of domestic and offshore short- and long-term receivables in multi-seller commercial paper conduit facilities aggregating over $1,000,000,000
- Representation of 27 institutional investors purchasing trust certificates backed by promissory notes issued by several National Football League teams, which notes are secured by, among other things, revenues payable under national media contracts
- Representation of sponsors/managers in multiple collateralized bond obligation financings, including CBOs backed by asset-backed securities
- Representation of the issuer with respect to the simultaneous acquisition and securitization of a portfolio of railroad rolling stock
- Representation of originator/issuer in first securitization of auto title loans
- Representation of debt investors in financings for National Basketball Association and National Hockey League teams and arenas
- Representation of originator/issuer in successful workout restructurings of lease-backed securitization with over $200,000,000 outstanding