DePaul University College of Law, J.D., 1979
University of Notre Dame, B.A., 1976
Jim Theiss is the head of the Banking and Financial Services Department, head of the Real Estate Group, and a member of the Commercial Lending Group. He is experienced in the area of commercial finance, including secured and unsecured bank lending. Jim also has extensive experience in real estate related finance matters and subscription agreement financing, including syndicated revolving credit for REITs and opportunity funds, construction, acquisition and permanent financing for office, industrial, hotel, residential (including single family and apartments) and retail (including strip and regional shopping centers).
Jim also has extensive experience in loan sales, workouts and restructurings, OREO holding companies and disposition of OREO. He represents numerous major domestic and foreign banking institutions and leasing companies. Jim has worked on projects in most of the states and in all geographic areas of the country.
Representative financing projects and subscription financings include:
- Syndicated bank credit facilities for REITs (including Healthcare, Residential, Hospitality, Retail and Office), Real Estate Companies in all product categories and Wineries
- Construction and mini-perm loans for office buildings including 77 W. Wacker Drive, Chicago, Illinois; Gallagher Office Center, Itasca, Illinois; One Detroit Center, Detroit, Michigan; Dallas Main Center (Nationsbank Plaza), Dallas, Texas
- Construction and mini-perm loans for hotels including Santa Barbara Biltmore Hotel, Santa Barbara, California; Adams Mark Hotel, St. Louis, Missouri; Marriott Hotel, Chicago, Illinois
- Construction and mini-perm loans for shopping centers including Northpoint Mall, Alpharetta, Georgia; Brandon Mall, Brandon, Florida; River Oaks Shopping Center, Calumet City, Illinois; North Pier Festival Market, Chicago, Illinois; Short Pump Mall, Richmond Virginia; Bolingbrook Town Center, Bolingbrook, Illinois
- Synthetic leases for Aluminum Rolling Mill, Bank Headquarters Office Building, regional warehouse and distribution centers, printing equipment and auto manufacturing equipment, aircraft, aircraft engines, construction equipment, furniture, fixtures and equipment, vineyards
- Subscription financings for private equity and real estate opportunity funds including Lone Star Funds, Emerging Markets Real Estate Funds, Hines Funds, Transwestern Funds, Starwood Opportunity Funds, Prudential Real Estate Funds and European Real Estate Opportunity Funds