University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2009
- Staff Member, Notre Dame Journal of Legislation
Marquette University College of Business, M.S., Accounting, 2006
Marquette University College of Business, B.S., Business Administration, cum laude, 2005
Illinois Government Finance Officers Association
Kent Floros is an associate in Chapman’s Illinois Public Finance Department. He participated in the Firm’s summer associate program in 2008, and joined the Firm in 2009. Kent is a certified public accountant (CPA) registered in the State of Illinois.
Kent serves as bond counsel, underwriter’s counsel, and disclosure counsel in governmental purpose securities transactions. He routinely advises issuers, investment banks, commercial banks, and financial advisors on state law and federal tax law matters related to the structure and sale of governmental obligations. Kent also provides legal assistance with respect to securities law matters, including SEC and MSRB rules and regulations governing the municipal securities market. Kent has also served as pension disclosure counsel with respect to bond issuances by several large Illinois issuers, in which role he has drafted or revised such disclosures in response to recent enforcement actions by the SEC.
Kent is a frequent panelist and speaker on public finance and regulatory topics, including post-issuance compliance, state law matters relevant to local governments, disclosure matters, and pensions.
- “Considerations in Preparing Disclosure in Official Statements Regarding an Issuer’s Pension Funding Obligations (Public Defined Benefit Pension Plans).” National Association of Bond Lawyers. May 2012.
- “Hot Topics in Debt Management” (Webinar), Illinois Government Finance Officers Association, April 2015.
- “Bond Schmonding: Recent Changes in the Regulatory Environment with Respect to Bond Issuances,” Illinois Association of Park Districts/Illinois Parks and Recreation Association Annual Conference, January 2015.
- “Municipal Bankruptcy — Can it Happen in Illinois? And Recent SEC Enforcement Actions” (Webinar), Illinois Government Finance Officers Association, March 2014.
- “Tax-Exempt Bonds: Do Sweat the Small Stuff,” Illinois Association of Park Districts/Illinois Parks and Recreation Association Annual Conference, January 2013.
- “Municipal Pensions: Underlying Concepts, Securities Law Considerations and Disclosure Landscape” (Webinar), Illinois Association of School Business Officials, January 2013.
- “Ensuring Compliance After the Bond Sale” (Webinar), Illinois Government Finance Officers Association, April 2012.
- “Municipal Bond Topics: Update on Post-Issuance Compliance and Securities Law Topics, including Pension Disclosure,” Illinois Local Government Lawyers Association, February 2012.
- “Implementing PA 097-0609: Total Compensation Disclosure and More” (Webinar), Illinois Government Finance Officers Association, October 2011.
- “A Road Trip from CA to IL: Financing Situations,” AGLF/ELFA Public Sector Finance Forum, May 2011.