University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1987
University of Michigan, with distinction, B.B.A.,1982
American Bankruptcy Institute
American College of Investment Counsel
Turnaround Management Association
Larry Halperin is a partner in Chapman's Bankruptcy and Restructuring Group, and Co-Office Leader of the firm's New York office. He joined the firm in 2013.
Larry focuses his practice on financial restructuring of distressed companies, high yield and distressed debt transactions, commercial lending transactions and event-driven mergers and acquisitions. He typically represents agents, private funds, investment banks and financial institutions in connection with their investments in, and financings transactions to, mid-cap companies. Larry has counseled clients who desire to acquire portfolio companies in need of restructuring by acquiring a majority of the distressed debt. He has also counseled lenders in connection with an orderly exercise of remedies to achieve a practical, business oriented restructuring solution for the company and the acquiring fund. He also advises clients participating in the global secondary market for troubled and non-performing loans and claims.
Larry has presented at various conferences on such topics as "Loan To Own Strategies — An Alternative to Bankruptcy," "Distressed Investments: Lessons from the Experts," and "Intercreditor Issues Between First and Second Lien Lenders."
From time to time, Larry presents at various conferences and also lectures to restructuring classes for undergraduate and MBA students.
Larry is also a CPA.
Larry's prior experience includes the representation of clients in the following matters:
- Represented private fund in the acquisition of a commercial sign business
- Represented portfolio company in the sale of an audio technology company
- Represented aircraft parts manufacturer in a financial restructuring
- Represented equity sponsor in the financial restructuring of an aircraft services company
- Represented private fund in the successful bid and acquisition of a real estate loan portfolio
- Represented private fund in the purchase and restructuring of a loan for an oil and gas development firm
- Represented private fund in its lending and equity investment for a hotel owner and operator
- Represented lead investor in acquisition of secured debt and financial restructuring of a company in the air cargo business
- Represented stalking horse-bidder in a 363 bankruptcy sale in its acquisition of a window and door manufacturer
- Represented private fund in the acquisition of secured debt and financial restructuring of a public company engaged in the manufacture of heat sinks and cooling fans for the electronic industry
- Represented private fund in bidding for a fertilizer company in a section 363 bankruptcy sale
- Represented private fund in its acquisition in the secondary market of a subordinated note and the subsequent exercise of lender remedies
- Represented private fund in its acquisition of an owner participant interest in a 737 aircraft on lease to a major carrier
- Represented private fund in its origination of a $75,000,000 senior secured loan to an eye glass manufacturer with both US and foreign subsidiaries
- Represented Agent of a nine-member bank syndicate in a restructuring of an after-market auto parts supplier
- Represented lender to heating oil distribution company in exercising rights through a UCC Article 9 foreclosure sale
- Co-Author, "Credit Bidding: Has the 'Fisker' Threat Subsided?," Client Alert. August 31, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Leveraged Lending Guidelines, New Debt Structures and Pitfalls in Bankruptcy," AIRA Journal. Vol. 30 No. 2, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Make-Whole Update: Delaware District Court Follows New York's Lead in Disallowing Make-Whole Premium in Bankruptcy — Dispute Moves to Third Circuit," Client Alert. February 29, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Vote More than Once? Numerosity and Possible Reform," Law360. July 24, 2015.
- Co-Author, "Another One Bites the Dust — Energy Future Decision Likely Precludes Future Arguments to Lift the Automatic Stay in the Make-Whole Context," Client Alert. July 23, 2015.
- Co-Author, "Marblegate II and the 'Tyranny of the Minority' — Another Weapon is Added to Bondholders' Arsenal to Disrupt Exchange Offers and Restructurings," Client Alert. July 8, 2015.
- Co-Author, "Challenges Ahead for Chapter 11 Retained Professionals: The Implications of Baker Botts v. Asarco," Client Alert. July 2, 2015.
- Co-Author, "Change of Control Defaults: Healthways Case May Put Lenders' Protections in Doubt," Client Alert. June 16, 2015.
- Co-Author, "The ABI Commission on Reform of Chapter 11 Final Report: What Secured Creditors Need to Understand," White Paper. June 2015.
- Co-Author, "Does Your Intercreditor Agreement Properly Protect You? Common Mistakes and How to Fix Them — Lessons Learned From the MPM Silicones and RadioShack Cases," Client Alert. May 5, 2015.
- Co-Author, "Can Bankruptcy Sales Be Free and Clear of Unknown Future Claims?" Client Alert. January 27, 2015.
- Co-Author, "I'm a Secured Creditor so I'm Entitled to Default Interest, Right?" Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law. January 2015.
- Co-Author, "MPM Silicones Latest Court to Whittle Away at Secured Creditor Protections: Plan Confirmed Providing Secured Creditors with Below Market Replacement Notes," Client Alert. September 29, 2014.
- Co-Author, "Recent Challenges to Credit Bidding - A New Trend?," Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law. July/August 2014.
- Co-Author, "Distressed Investing - A Trade Is a Trade…but a Fund May Not Be an Eligible Assignee," Client Alert. May 22, 2014.
- Co-Author, "New Challenge to Credit Bidding - Distressed Debt Purchasers Beware," Client Alert. February 12, 2014.
- Co-Author, "Strategies and Limitations of Sponsor Buybacks," American Bankruptcy Institute Journal. January 2014.
- Co-Author, "Sales Rx for Ailing Health Care Businesses: Bankruptcy" The Journal of Corporate Renewal
- Co-Author, “The Restructuring of Danfurn LLC,” Darden School of Business Publishing.
- Co-Author, "Something From Nothing: The Risks to Senior Secured Creditors Posed By a Judgment Creditor."
- Co-Author, "Strict Foreclosure Offers Out-of-Court Alternative to 363 Sales," The Journal of Corporate Renewal.
- Co-Author, "Erosion of Secured Creditors' Rights: Has the Pendulum Swung in Favor of Unsecured Creditors."
- Co-Author, "Enforcement of Creditors' Rights Under the UCC: Is Shareholder Consent Required?"
- Co-Author, "The 'Second Risk' that Keeps Loan Participants Up at Night."
- Moderator, "An Interactive Negotiation of Distressed Company Restructuring," 6th Annual Bank & Financial Institutions Special Assets Forum on Real Estate, C&I and SBA Loans. September 15 – 16, 2016.
- Co-Presenter, "Remedies for Distress: Nuances of the 363 Sale Process," The Loan Syndications and Trading Association's CLE Seminar. New York. April 19, 2016.
- Panelist, "An Interactive Negotiation of a Distressed Company Restructuring," American Bankruptcy Institute's VALCON 2016. Las Vegas. March 14 – 16, 2016.
- Panel Moderator, "Lending — Exit Financing and Various Debt Structures," Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisor's 14th Annual Advanced Restructuring & Plan of Reorganization Conference. New York City. November 2, 2015.
- Panelist, "An Interactive Negotiation of a Distressed Company Restructuring," American Bankruptcy Institute's VALCON 2015. Las Vegas. February 25 – 27, 2015.
- Panel Co-Moderator, "Can We Work This Out?" 2014 ACIC Spring Conference. Chicago. April 25, 2014.
- Panelist, "Distressed Investments: Lessons from the Experts." 2014 TMA Spring Conference. New York City. February 4, 2014.
- “363: Bankruptcy Code Provision or New Ferrari Model?,” 2012 TMA Spring Conference
- "Legal Overview: The Latest Developments in Commercial Bankruptcy Law," 2011 Distressed Debt Conference
- American Conference Institute — 2nd National Forum on Commercial Loans
- 32nd Annual Conference on Securities Regulation and Business Law
- Second Annual Distressed & Turnaround Investment
- Distressed & Turnaround Investment Conference
- "Loan to Own: Exercising Lender Remedies as an Alternative to Bankruptcy," seminar
- "Loan-to-Own Strategies of Hedge Funds and Private Equity Firms"
- University of Michigan Entrepreneur Club
Honors & Awards
- New York Metro "Super Lawyer," Corporate Finance & Securities, 2014
- New York Metro "Super Lawyer," Corporate Finance & Securities, 2013