University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 2007
- Editor-in-Chief, Michigan Telecommunications and Technology Law Review
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.S., 2001
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
American Bankruptcy Institute
Turnaround Management Association
Judicial law clerk for the Honorable Victor J. Wolski, U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2007-2008
Laura Appleby is a partner in Chapman's Bankruptcy and Restructuring Group. Laura represents financial institutions, hedge funds, and other creditors in complex Chapter 11 reorganizations, Chapter 9 proceedings, out-of-court restructurings, and distressed transactions. She has experience counseling parties in all aspects of sophisticated restructurings, including in connection with distressed investment opportunities, Section 363 sales, UCC Article 9 sales and consensual foreclosures, and event-driven acquisitions. Additionally, Laura provides advice in connection with potential bankruptcy implications in both corporate transactions and municipal bond offerings.
Laura’s representations have involved a variety of industries, including agriculture, chemical, financial services, health care services, mining, non-profits and transportation. She also regularly counsels clients with respect to issues surrounding municipal distress and insolvency, including relating to cities, states and U.S. territories, as well as health care and other special municipal districts.
Laura joined the firm in 2008 after completing a clerkship with the Honorable Victor J. Wolski, of the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
Prior to attending law school, Laura was a legislative assistant to a U.S. Senator, and advised on issues including agriculture policy and energy policy.
Recent Representative Transactions
Laura’s recent experience includes:
- Representing financial institutions and indenture trustees in complex Chapter 11 proceedings, including the Lehman Brothers and American Airlines bankruptcy proceedings, including drafting briefing for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Representing a purchaser in an acquisition from an insolvent Israeli public company a minority equity interest in an owner/operator of gas stations and convenience stores in the United States
- Representing a potential purchaser in a Section 363 auction involving a global chemical company that was a debtor in a Chapter 11 proceeding
- Representing creditors in all aspects of sewer debt before and during the Chapter 9 filing by Jefferson County, Alabama
Laura has written on many bankruptcy topics of relevance to creditors including:
- Co-Author, "Is Momentive Losing Momentum?," Client Alert. November 21, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Credit Bidding: Has the 'Fisker' Threat Subsided?," Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law. November/December 2016.
- Co-Author, "Equitable Mootness in the Municipal Bankruptcy Context," Law360. October 21, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Sixth Circuit Dismisses Appeal of Detroit's Plan of Adjustment as Equitably Moot," Client Alert. October 12, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Municipalities in Distress? How States and Investors Deal with Local Government Financial Emergencies," 2nd ed. Chapman and Cutler LLP. September 2016.
- Co-Author, "Credit Bidding: Has the 'Fisker' Threat Subsided?," Client Alert. August 31, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Congress Approves Measures to Return Puerto Rico to Financial Stability," Client Alert. June 30, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Leveraged Lending Guidelines, New Debt Structures and Pitfalls in Bankruptcy," AIRA Journal. Vol. 30 No. 2, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Red or Black? Difficult Decisions Ahead for Atlantic City," Law360. June 23, 2016.
- Co-Author, "U.S. Supreme Court Rejects Puerto Rico's Attempt at State-Level Restructuring Regime," Client Alert. June 15, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Illinois Supreme Court Invalidates Chicago Pension Reform Law," Client Alert. March 30, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Make-Whole Update: Delaware District Court Follows New York's Lead in Disallowing Make-Whole Premium in Bankruptcy — Dispute Moves to Third Circuit," Client Alert. February 29, 2016.
- Co-Author, "11th Circ. Restricts Equitable Mootness," Law360. January 5, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Default Interest in Chapter 11: What Sagamore Partners Means for Lenders," Journal of Taxation and Regulation of Financial Institutions. November/December 2015.
- Co-Author, "Unitranche Facilities and the Jurisdiction of Bankruptcy Courts: RadioShack's Chapter 11 Leaves Questions Unanswered," Client Alert. August 13, 2015.
- Co-Author, “The Precedential Value of Sagamore Partners," Law360. July 30, 2015.
- Co-Author, “Legislation Opens a New Chapter for Municipal GO Bondholders in California," Client Alert. July 27, 2015.
- Co-Author, “First Circuit Affirms Invalidity of Puerto Rico’s Public Corporations Debt Enforcement and Recovery Act," Client Alert. July 14, 2015.
- Co-Author, “Strategies and Limitations of Sponsor Buybacks,” American Bankruptcy Institute Journal. January 2014.
- Co-Author, "Municipalities in Distress? How States and Investors Deal with Local Government Financial Emergencies," Chapman and Cutler LLP. April 2012.
Honors & Awards
- Named a "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers in 2015 and 2016