University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1991
Yeshiva University, B.A.,1988
American Bankruptcy Institute
Turnaround Management Association
Yeshiva University's General Counsel's Council (2008–Present)
Michael Friedman is a partner and the Co-Practice Group Leader of Chapman's Bankruptcy and Restructuring Group. He joined the firm in 2013.
Michael focuses his practice on bankruptcy and restructuring transactions, and has represented hedge funds, investment banks, and financial institutions in connection with event driven investment, financing and acquisition transactions. Michael’s broad experience in the areas of bankruptcy, restructuring and finance allows him to help clients structure transactions in a manner that will allow them to achieve their business objectives in the most efficient and cost effective manner.
Michael represents investors in distressed acquisitions, purchases of assets in chapter 11 proceedings or “363 sales,” debtor-in-possession financings, rescue or bridge financings and chapter 11 exit financings. He represents secured and unsecured creditors in all aspects of complex chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganizations and out-of-court restructuring transactions. Michael also provides real-time focused legal analysis and advice to investors contemplating investments in distressed opportunities.
Michael's prior experience includes the representation of clients in the following matters:
- Represented Ad Hoc bondholder group in connection with a Chapter 15 bankruptcy petition commenced by a Canadian Trust with energy and petroleum assets in the United States.
- Represented private equity fund in connection with $45 million purchase of equity interests in gaming company.
- Represented purchaser in the acquisition from an insolvent Israeli public company pursuant to a court-supervised process of a minority equity interest in owner/operator of gas stations and convenience stores across the east coast of the United States. Worked with local Israeli counsel and assisted in negotiations with the insolvent company and its bondholders, and successfully negotiated a settlement of litigation between insolvent company and majority shareholder.
- Represented purchaser in connection with the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of a Midwest casino and horse racing track in a Section 363 sale. The transaction included credit facilities in the amount of $655 million, the proceeds of which were used to acquire the assets of the company and refinance certain existing loans.
- Represented debtor in connection with their filing for bankruptcy protection and the sale of substantially all of their assets pursuant to a Section 363 sale and the successful confirmation of a plan of reorganization approximately four months following the filing.
- Represented resort and spa company in connection with the restructuring of its first lien and mezzanine debt and the recapitalization of the company.
- Represented ad hoc groups of bondholders in connection with restructurings of bonds and convertible notes.
- Represented group of institutions and funds that were counterparties to open confirmations for the purchase and sale of bank loans from or to Lehman in connection with the Lehman bankruptcy proceeding.
- Represented private funds in multiple purchases of assets pursuant to section 363 sale process.
- Represented lead investor in connection with the purchase of senior secured loans and origination of DIP Loan to energy producer in chapter 11 proceedings and the subsequent acquisition of substantially all of the assets of the company.
- Represented lead investor in acquisition of majority equity stake in heating oil delivery company through the conversion of its debt to equity in chapter 11 reorganization.
- Represented private fund in connection with the acquisition through a 363 sale process, of an Italian subsidiary of U.S. company specializing in medium and high voltage drives and controls.
- Represented private fund in the consensual foreclosure of senior secured loans to company with U.S. and foreign subsidiaries resulting in the ownership of substantially all of the assets of the company.
- Represented institutional investor in connection with $75 million lease rejection claims against automotive parts manufacturer in chapter 11 proceedings.
- Co-Author, "Distressed Investing: New York's Highest Court Holds — a Trade is a Trade," Client Alert. December 29, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Is Momentive Losing Momentum?," Law360. November 22, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Credit Bidding: Has the 'Fisker' Threat Subsided?," Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law. November/December 2016.
- Co-Author, "Make-Whole Update: Delaware Bankruptcy Court Rules Intercreditor Agreement Does Not Permit First Lien Noteholders to Demand Payment of Previously Disallowed Make‑Whole from Junior Noteholders," Client Alert. June 27, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Are You an Over-Secured Lender in Your Borrower's Bankruptcy? Beware: You May Still Not Be Entitled to Receive Post-Petition Interest," Client Alert. May 26, 2016.
- Co-Author, "The Aftermath of EMC and Caesars: Trust Indenture Act Claims Brought by Objecting Bondholders," Client Alert. March 24, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Make-Whole Update: Delaware District Court Follows New York's Lead in Disallowing Make-Whole Premium in Bankruptcy — Dispute Moves to Third Circuit," Client Alert. February 29, 2016.
- Co-Author, "LSTA Publishes Detailed Response to ABI Commission's Proposed Bankruptcy Reforms," Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law. February/March 2016.
- Co-Author, "So Long as It's Your Own Money — Third Circuit Allows Secured Creditors to Gift Value to Junior Creditors to Resolve Sale Objection Even When More Senior Creditors Receive Nothing," Client Alert. September 24, 2015.
- Co-Author, "Unitranche Facilities and the Jurisdiction of Bankruptcy Courts: RadioShack's Chapter 11 Leaves Questions Unanswered," Client Alert. August 13, 2015.
- Co-Author, "S.D.N.Y. Affirms MPM Silicones' 'Prime Plus' Formula for Cramdown Interest Rates, Likely Harming Creditor Recoveries," Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law. July/August 2015.
- Co-Author, "Vote More Than Once? Numerosity and Possible Reform," Law360. July 24, 2015.
- Co-Author, "Another One Bites the Dust — Energy Future Decision Likely Precludes Future Arguments to Lift the Automatic Stay in the Make-Whole Context," Client Alert. July 23, 2015.
- Co-Author, "Marblegate II and the 'Tyranny of the Minority' — Another Weapon is Added to Bondholders' Arsenal to Disrupt Exchange Offers and Restructurings," Client Alert. July 8, 2015.
- Co-Author, "Challenges Ahead for Chapter 11 Retained Professionals: The Implications of Baker Botts v. Asarco," Client Alert. July 2, 2015.
- Co-Author, "The ABI Commission on Reform of Chapter 11 Final Report: What Secured Creditors Need to Understand," White Paper. June 2015.
- Co-Author, "Does Your Intercreditor Agreement Properly Protect You? Common Mistakes and How to Fix Them — Lessons Learned From the MPM Silicones and RadioShack Cases," Client Alert. May 5, 2015.
- Quoted, "Caesars Letting Apollo, TPG Keep Stake Fuels Creditor Anger," Bloomberg. January 15, 2015.
- Co-Author, "I'm a Secured Creditor so I'm Entitled to Default Interest, Right?," Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law. January 2015.
- Co-Author, "The ABI Commission on Reform of Chapter 11 Issues Final Report: What Secured Creditors Need to Understand," Client Alert. December 17, 2014.
- Quoted, "Altegrity Bond Rise Boosts Case for Make Whole," Bloomberg Brief. October 6, 2014.
- Co-Author, "MPM Silicones Latest Court to Whittle Away at Secured Creditor Protections: Plan Confirmed Providing Secured Creditors with Below Market Replacement Notes," Client Alert. September 29, 2014.
- Quoted, "Momentive Bankruptcy Plan to Be Approved with Changes," Bloomberg. August 27, 2014.
- Co-Author, "Recent Challenges to Credit Bidding - A New Trend?," Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law, July/August 2014.
- Co-Author, "Make-Whole Provisions Continue to Cause Controversy: What You Can Do to Avoid Litigation," Chapman Sidebar. July 18, 2014.
- Co-Author, "Recent Challenges to Credit Bidding - A New Trend?," Client Alert. May 13, 2014.
- Co-Author, "New Challenge to Credit Bidding - Distressed Debt Purchasers Beware," Client Alert. February 12, 2014.
- Co-Author, "Strategies and Limitations of Sponsor Buybacks, January 2014," American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, January 2014.
- Author, "Israel: The Next Big Distressed M&A Opportunity?," Chapman Insights, September 18, 2013.
- Co-Author, "What About Make-Whole Premiums?"
- Co-Author, “The Restructuring of Danfurn LLC,” Darden School of Business Publishing
- Co-Author, “3 Critical Elements for Turning Around a Distressed Company,” Corporate Counsel
- Co-Author, “The Unitranche Facility: Implications,” American Bankruptcy Institute Journal
- Co-Author, "A Loan Trader's Guide to Commercial Real Estate Loans"
- Co-Author, "DBSD: Has Confirming a Plan Become More Difficult?" GC New York
- Co-Author, "Supreme Court Approves Amendments to Bankruptcy Rule 2019: Amendments Likely to Take Effect on December 1, 2011"
- Co-Author, "Passive Investors Only -- Strategic Investors Need Not Apply: Dish Network Corp. v. DBSD N. AM., Inc."
- Co-Author, "The Continuing Evolution of Bankruptcy Rule 2019"
- Co-Author, "Lehman Files A Proposed Plan Of Reorganization"
- Co-Author, "Distressed Investor Alert: Revisions to Bankruptcy Rule 2019 Will Discourage Active Involvement in U.S. Bankruptcy Cases"
- Co-Author, "Erosion of Secured Creditors' Rights: Has the Pendulum Swung in Favor of Unsecured Creditors"
- Co-Author, "Acquiring Companies in Bankruptcy," Executive Counsel Magazine
- Lending, Investing and Trading After the Market Break
- Co-Author, "Equity and Debt Decoupling: Derivative Instruments Challenge Fundamental Assumptions of Corporate and Bankruptcy Law"
- Co-Author, "Effectiveness of Power of Attorney Provision in Claim Purchase Agreements in Bankruptcy - Delphi Bankruptcy Case Raises Issue"
- Co-Author, "The 'Second Risk' that Keeps Loan Participants Up at Night"
- Co-Author, "Cure Claims in Bankruptcy - Delphi Bankruptcy Case Raises Issues"
- Co-Author, "Enron Update: District Court Reverses Bankruptcy Court Decision -- Equitable Subordination Risk Does Not Travel with the 'Sale' of a Claim But Does Travel with an 'Assignment' of a Claim"
- Co-Author, "Enron Update: District Court Holds Hearing in Appeal of Bankruptcy Court Decision that Equitable Subordination Risk Travels with the Claim"
- Co-Author, "Enron Update: District Court Affirms In Part and Reverses In Part Earlier Ruling Granting Appeal of Bankruptcy Court Decision that Equitable Subordination Risk Travels with the Claim"
- Co-Author, "Secondary Loan Purchasers Challenge Enron and Win an Extraordinary Appeal: Does Equitable Subordination Risk Travel with the Loan?"
- Panelist, "An Interactive Negotiation of a Distressed Company Restructuring," 6th Annual Bank & Financial Institutions Special Assets Forum on Real Estate, C&I and SBA Loans. September 15 – 16, 2016.
- Moderator, "An Interactive Negotiation of a Distressed Company Restructuring," American Bankruptcy Institute's VALCON 2016. March 14 – 16, 2016.
- Panelist, "An Interactive Negotiation of a Distressed Company Restructuring," American Bankruptcy Institute's VALCON 2015. February 25 – 27, 2015.
- Panel Co-Moderator, "Can We Work This Out?" ACIC Spring Conference. April 25, 2014.
- Guest Lecturer, University of Virginia McIntire School of Commerce
- Guest Lecturer, Duke University, the Fuqua School of Business
- "Distressed Lending and Strategic Investment - A Cautionary Tale" seminar
- "From Creditor to Equity Holder: How to Make Your Post-Reorganization Equity Work Harder for You"
- “Analysis of Claims against BP arising from Gulf of Mexico Disaster" hosted by the Susquehanna Financial Group
- “Bankruptcy’s Next Wave: A Look at the Financial Crisis One Year Later” presented at the American Bankruptcy Institute Annual Winter Leadership Conference
- "Bankruptcy’s New Wave – Preparing for the Perfect Storm: Which Sectors Will Take a Direct Hit?" presented at the American Bankruptcy Institute Annual Winter Leadership Conference
- "The Impact of an Abundance of Capital and Alternative Equity Sources on the Disappearance of the Borrower Default: Will the Party Last Forever?"