University of Michigan Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 1982
- Member, Michigan Law Review
Wesleyan University, B.A., cum laude, 1979
Co-Chair, Structured Finance Industry Group Committee on Marketplace Lending
Clerkship for the Hon. J. Edward Lumbard, United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
Peter Manbeck is a partner in Chapman and Cutler’s New York office. Peter joined the firm in 2011.
Peter represents issuers, sponsors, collateral managers, broker-dealers, swap providers, and other participants in asset-backed commercial paper programs and other structured transactions. He has considerable experience with trade receivable and securities portfolio financings and has worked on numerous corporate debt and equity financings. He also represents sponsors and investors in internet-based lending programs and has extensive experience in matters involving state securities laws and FINRA corporate financing rules.
Peter was previously a partner at the law firm of Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, and prior thereto at Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP.
- Co-Author, "Southern District of New York Issues Decision on Remand in Madden," The Banking Law Journal. May 2017.
- Co-Author, "The Regulation of Marketplace Lending: A Summary of the Principal Issues," Chapman and Cutler LLP. March 2017.
- Co-Author, "New Maryland Court Decision: Potential Impact on Consumer Marketplace Lenders," Lending Times. July 25, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Pennsylvania Decision Highlights 'True Lender' Risks," Law360. February 8, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Federal Court Decision Creates Uncertainty for Non-Bank Loan Assignees Regarding the Scope of Federal Preemption of State Usury Laws," The Banking Law Journal. September 2015.
- Co-Author, "Proposed Risk Retention Rules Trouble ABCP Market," The Journal of Structured Finance. Winter 2014.
- Co-Author, "Peer-to-Peer Lending: A Summary of the Principal Legal & Regulatory Issues," VCExperts.com. June 2013.
- Co-Author, "ABCP 2.0: Short-Term Structured Financing in the New Regulatory Environment," The Banking Law Journal. May 2013.
- Co-Author, "A Challenge for the Future: Issuing ABCP in the New Regulatory Environment," The Journal of Structured Finance. Spring 2011.
- Co-Author, "Structured Finance Hedge Criteria Compared," The Journal of Structured Finance. Spring 2008.
- "Regulatory Issues in P2P Lending," 2014 American Banker Small Business Conference. November 2014.
- Co-Presenter, "Current Regulatory Challenges for the ABCP Market," 2011 iiBig Commercial Paper Executive Summit. September 2011.