University of Southern California Law School, J.D., 1985
- Member, Southern California Law Review, 1984–1985
University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., cum laude, 1982
Director, California Lawyers Guild
American Bar Association, Business Law Section
State Bar of California, Business Law Section
Peter Szurley is the Office Leader of the firm’s San Francisco Office and is a partner in the Banking and Financial Services Department. He is also a member of the firm’s Commercial Lending Group and Private Equity and Hedge Fund Group. He possesses extensive experience in complex commercial financings of all kinds, including syndicated and single-bank lending transactions (both secured and unsecured), leasing (leveraged and synthetic), securitizations and structured finance. He typically represents major financial institutions, hedge funds and finance companies. His practice has included domestic and cross-border transactions (particularly involving aircraft financings and sales). Peter’s experience also extends to representing financial institutions in credit restructurings both inside and outside of bankruptcy and to representing hedge funds on financing as well as general corporate matters.
Peter is currently Co-Chair of the Opinions Committee of the Business Law Section of the California State Bar and a member of its Steering Committee. Peter is also a former Co-Chair and Co-Vice Chair of the Council of State Bar Sections of the State Bar of California. He previously served as Co-Chair and Co-Vice Chair of the Uniform Commercial Code Committee of the Business Law Section.
Peter is a founding member, and a director, of the California Lawyers Guild. The Guild is a voluntary, statewide bar association in California that was formed in 2016 to encourage and support legal education, the administration of justice and the highest standards of integrity, competence, civility and well-being of all members of the profession.
- Member, Drafting Committee: Sample California Third-Party Legal Opinion for Business Transactions, issued by the California State Bar Opinions Committee (2010).
- Lead Editor and Principal Contributor: Report on Opinions in Personal Property Secured Transactions, issued by the California State Bar UCC Committee (2005).
- Reporter: Report on the Amendments to Articles 3 and 4 of the Uniform Commercial Code, issued by the California State Bar UCC Committee (2003).
- Co-Reporter: Report on Revised Article 1 of the Uniform Commercial Code, issued by the California State Bar UCC Committee (2002).
- Author: Fiat Lux? Peregrine Entertainment and the Perfection of Security Interests in Federally Registered Copyrights, California Bankruptcy Journal, Volume 18, Number 4, 1990.