Duke University School of Law, J.D., 2001
University of Virginia, B.A., 1995
District of Columbia
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
Preetha Gist is a partner in Chapman and Cutler’s Asset Securitization Department and Banking and Financial Services Department. Preetha’s practice focuses on value-based services to financial institution clients, drawing on her experience and insights from serving as general counsel for the capital markets unit of a major U.S. financial institution and in-house in various roles at several major banks. Her understanding of client value and the needs of bank clients drives her practice. Preetha also serves as Chapman’s Client Service Partner where she collaborates with partners and practice groups to apply best practices learned from her in-house experience to support client engagement and service.
Banks and other capital markets financial service providers, particularly those active in the structured finance markets, face a challenging and ever changing regulatory environment with new and complex regulations. Preetha’s understanding of complex financial regulations is both broad and deep. She balances her in-depth technical knowledge with pragmatic insights to develop workable solutions for her clients, either when advising on regulatory matters generally or representing them on transactions.
Preetha is active in the Structured Finance Industry Group and currently serves as the co-chair of SFIG’s Derivatives in Securitization Task Force. She regularly participates in industry advocacy efforts partnering with in-house government relations departments to educate and advise lawmakers on the real world impacts of proposed legislative initiatives. She is also a thought leader and speaks frequently on regulatory issues relevant to the financial services field.
Preetha served as general counsel for Capital Markets at U.S. Bank and prior to that, as in-house counsel in other financial institutions, supporting debt capital markets, loan capital markets, asset securitization, and derivatives business units. She began her legal career as an associate at an AmLaw 50 firm in Washington, DC.
- Panelist, "Legal Developments in Marketplace Lending," Practising Law Institute’s Marketplace Lending and Crowdfunding 2016. September 2016.
- Moderator, “Regulation 101: Digesting the Alphabet Soup,” ABS Vegas 2016 Conference. February 2016.
- Panelist, “New Developments in Securitization, Regulatory Panel Presentation,” Practising Law Institute. December 2015.
- Presenter, “CFTC/SEC Regulatory Update,” Chicago Bar Association. June 2015.
- Presenter, “Derivatives,” Structured Finance Industry Group’s 2014 Fall Symposium. October 2014.
- Panelist, “Dodd-Frank Swap Dealer Regulation,” Financial Markets Association’s 2013 Securities and Compliance Seminar. April 2013.
- Presenter, “Fundamentals of Swaps and the Basics of the ISDA Contract,” ISDA Regional Conference. October 2008.