University of Maryland School of Law, J.D.
- Ward Kershaw Award
- Environmental Moot Court
University of Alberta, B.A., Economics
Illinois State Bar Association
Section of Energy, Utilities, Telecommunications & Transportation
- Council Member
Energy Bar Association
- Power Generation and Marketing Subcommittee
South Asian Bar Association of Chicago
- Executive Board Member
Edison Electric Institute
American Bar Association
Solar Energy Industries Association
Sameer Ghaznavi’s practice focuses primarily in the area of project acquisition, development and operational matters for power and natural gas utility companies and independent power producers in transactional matters such as the structuring of purchase and sale of assets or ownership interest in assets; preparation and negotiation of purchase agreements; management agreements; engineering, procurement and construction agreements; operations and maintenance agreements; traditional and synthetic power purchase agreements and retail purchase and sale agreements; turbine supply and leasing agreements; fuel purchase agreements; professional services agreements; long-term part supply and service agreements; renewable energy credits and certificates transactions; and emissions allowance transactions. Sameer is experienced with both traditional (gas, coal, combined cycle, cogeneration) and renewable energy (solar, wind) facilities. Prior to entering private practice, Sameer was in-house counsel at a Fortune 200 energy company, and a publicly traded independent power producer headquartered out of Alberta, Canada.
Company counsel for utility-scale renewables projects, including drafting and negotiation of EPCs, PPAs, leases and operating agreements
Company counsel in connection with various EPC and Design-Build capital projects related to coal and gas generating facilities
Development of standard contract templates, including the following:
- professional services agreement
- goods purchase agreement
- construction agreement
- contract labor agreement
- non-disclosure agreement
- Development of contract playbooks to assist with legal department’s and supply chain group’s review and negotiation of standard contracts
Represented independent power producer in connection with negotiation of long term parts and maintenance services agreements with international OEMs*
Represented independent power producer in connection with 270 MW wind turbine supply agreement*
Represented independent power producer in connection with divestiture of partnership owning renewable assets*
*Representation prior to joining Chapman.
- Co-Author, "Illinois' Future Energy Jobs Act Update," Client Alert. May 15, 2017.
- Co-Author, "Illinois' Future Energy Jobs Act (P.A. 99-0906)," Energy Law Report. May 2017.
- Co-Author, "Two Lawsuits Challenge Constitutionality of the Zero Emissions Credits Program of Illinois' Future Energy Jobs Act," Client Alert. February 21, 2017.
- Contributor, Report of the Power Generation and Marketing Subcommittee, Vol 36:2, Energy L.J. 111 (2015).
- Co-Author, “Retail Electric Supply Agreement Basics & Negotiation Tips.” American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy and Resources In-House Newsletter, April 2014.
- Moderator, “Webinar: Illinois Future Energy Jobs Act,” January 2017.
- Presenter, “Contracts Training,” April 2017, May 2017.
- Panelist, "Hot Topics Impacting Energy Project Finance," Chapman and Cutler CLE Marathon, May 2015.