Northern Illinois University, J.D., 2014
University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, B.A., English, 1998
Toi Hutchinson is Chapman's Director of Community Relations and Social Responsibility. She works closely with Chapman attorneys and clients to promote social responsibility and diversity initiatives, seek additional opportunities for Chapman's involvement in community and economic development, and expand Chapman's network of pipeline and recruiting programs.
In 2016, Toi was re-elected to serve a third term in the Illinois State Senate representing the 40th District and serves as the Chair of the Senate Revenue Committee. Prior to public office, she worked in governmental relations and legislative affairs, served two terms as the Clerk of the Village of Olympia Fields (Illinois), and served as the Chief Professional Officer of the Southwest Suburban United Way. She has received numerous awards for her public service and commitment to inclusion and diversity.
Toi is a 2012 Edgar Fellow and completed an executive continuing education program through Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government. She is also the president-elect of the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) and will be named president at the NCSL 2018 Legislative Summit.
Honors & Awards
- Legislative Champion Award — Illinois State Alliance of YMCAs (2016)
- Champion Award — Chicago Alliance Against Sexual Exploitation (2014)
- Moxie Award — Illinois Coalition Against Sexual Assault (2013)
- Governors State University Annuitants Association Award for "In Appreciation of Your Leadership and Advocacy on Behalf of Your Constituent" (2011)
- Legislator of the Year — Illinois Public Transportation Association (2010)
- Legislator of the Year — South Suburban Area Project (2010)
- Public Service Award — Northern Illinois University College of Law Alumni Council (2009)
- Distinguished Citizen Award — Minority Business Expo (2009)
- Rich Central High School Hall of Fame Award