Chapman attorneys routinely advise clients on a wide range of employment-related issues and appear before federal and state courts and administrative agencies to defend employers against a variety of employment claims.
Litigation. Chapman represents employers in claims for lost compensation, whistleblower claims, and claims against former employees and their new employers for violations of confidentiality agreements and non-competes/post-employment covenants. Chapman also represents clients in tortious interference claims and workplace torts, such as defamation, intentional infliction of emotional distress, workplace repetitive strain injuries, and occupational reproductive hazards.
Compliance and Training. Chapman attorneys provide employment law compliance counseling and training for internal legal counsel and business unit managerial personnel. Such training has covered a broad range of federal and state employment law and regulations enforced by the Department of Labor, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs.
- Defended employers in bench and jury trials in employment discrimination claims brought by former employees after receiving “right to sue” letters.
- Defended employers in connection with Occupational Safety and Health Administration-related complaints and in contested OSHA cases before state and federal review boards.
- Defended and prosecuted numerous suits to enforce non-compete and non-disclosure agreements, including representation of both employers and employees in preliminary and permanent injunction proceedings and appeals.
- Conducted Fair Labor Standards Act overtime compliance audits for a major employer.
- Worked with employers to re-classify employees into proper overtime exemption categories.
- Developed back pay, severance, and other employer human resources guidelines.
- Advised employers on confidential data recovery issues arising from employee termination.