- Airport Finance
- Bond Counsel
- Higher Education
- Industrial Development Revenue Bonds — Manufacturing Facilities
- Private Activity Bonds
- Public Finance
- Solid Waste, Sewage and other Environmental Disposal
- Special District Bonds
- State Universities
- States, State Agencies and Authorities
- Underwriter's Counsel
- Utility Finance
Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Notes and Comments Editor, Northwestern University Law Review
University of Illinois, B.A., Psychology
American College of Bond Counsel (ACBC), Fellow
Securities Law Committee of the National Association of Bond Counsel
Women in Public Finance, Board Member
Andrea Bacon is a partner in the Illinois Public Finance Department and the National Public and Health & Education Finance Department of Chapman and Cutler LLP, and has principally worked in the field of municipal finance since 1979, when she joined the firm. She is the Chair of the firm’s Public Finance Disclosure Committee and a member of the National Association of Bond Lawyers Committee on Defined Benefit Pensions Plan Disclosure.
Andrea acts as bond counsel and counsel to the underwriter on a variety of public financings in many states, including revenue obligations and certificates of participation for state universities, exempt facility financings for solid waste facilities, industrial development revenue bond financings, qualified 501(c)(3) revenue bond financings, airport financings, and other types of public financings, including unsecured, secured and credit-enhanced public and private offerings.
Andrea has acted as disclosure counsel for the State of Illinois's competitive and negotiated sales of its general obligation and sales tax revenue bonds.
Andrea also acts as bond counsel to state universities in Illinois and South Dakota, including the University of Illinois, the University of South Dakota, Southern Illinois University, Northern Illinois University, South Dakota State University, Western Illinois University, Eastern Illinois University, Illinois State University, Governors State University and Northeastern Illinois University. She has extensive experience in all variations of variable rate financing for tax-exempt transactions.
She also has extensive experience as underwriter’s counsel for special facility revenue bonds for airport facilities for American Airlines in Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas; Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina; Nashville, Tennessee; Tulsa, Oklahoma; Chicago, Illinois; Alliance Airport, Texas; and New York, New York.
- Underwriter’s counsel in the issuance of nearly $117 million in airport revenue bonds to help finance the Branson Regional Airport, which was the first privately developed and operated commercial airport in the United States
- Special counsel to the Board of Trustees of Eastern Illinois University, issued the approving opinion for $85 million Certificates of Participation (Energy Conservation Projects), Series 2009A (Build America Program—Taxable), the proceeds of which will be used to construct a new biomass-fueled combined heat and power facility to replace the University’s existing coal-fired steam plant, the first time such renewable energy technology will be used by a university in Illinois
- Bond counsel to the Board of Trustees of Southern Illinois University for the first Build America Bond issue for a state university in Illinois, $53 million Southern Illinois University Housing and Auxiliary Facilities System Revenue Bonds, Series 2009A (Build America Program—Taxable), which financed a new football stadium and renovation of the basketball arena at the Carbondale campus