State University of New York at Buffalo, J.D., 1984
State University of New York at Buffalo, B.S., Accounting, cum laude, 1981
American Bar Association
National Association of Bond Lawyers
Bob Capizzi is a partner in Chapman and Cutler's Tax Department. He focuses his practice on the federal tax aspects of tax-exempt finance, including qualified 501(c)(3) bonds for health care, educational and cultural institutions, governmental bonds, private activity bonds for airports, multifamily housing and other facilities, acquisition financings, working capital financings, pooled financings, advance refundings, current refundings, and debt restructurings.
Bob's practice includes advising clients regarding arbitrage matters, including arbitrage rebate. He also counsels clients regarding derivative and financial products, including various types of interest rate swaps and financial asset securitizations.
Bob regularly serves as tax counsel for various types of tax-exempt health care financings for multistate systems and individual borrowers. He represents borrowers in IRS tax audits and has favorably resolved numerous tax disputes with the IRS. Bob speaks at seminars and conferences regarding various tax-exempt finance matters, including seminars held by the National Association of Bond Lawyers.
Bob started his legal career at Chapman. Prior to rejoining Chapman in 2014, he practiced in the tax and health care groups at Jones Day.
- Recent IRS Regulations Involving Mixed-Use Projects Financed With Tax-Exempt Bonds Very Beneficial to 501(c)(3) Health-Care Organizations, March 2016
- IRS Provides Guidance Regarding Written Post-Issuance Compliance Procedures for Tax-Exempt Bonds, August 2011
- IRS TEB Publishes Final Report on Post-Issuance Compliance Survey, August 2011
- A Practical Guide to Compliance with Contract Safe Harbors for Use of Bond-Financed Property, coauthor, AHLA Connections, September 2009
- Proposed Regulations Modify Arbitrage Regulations, November 2007
- Congress Enacts New Tax Act That Liberalizes $150 Million Limitation On Non-Hospital Bonds, coauthor, NHLA/AAHA Health Law Digest, August 1997
- $150 Million Non-Hospital Bond Limitation Eliminated For New Capital Expenditures, BNA's Health Law Reporter, February 1997
- IRS Finalizes Management Contract and Change In Use Rules, coauthor, BNA's Health Law Reporter, July 1996
- New Developments in Tax Planning for Joint Operating Company Arrangements, coauthor, The Exempt Organization Tax Review, July 1996
Honors & Awards
- Illinois Leading Lawyers Network, 2005-present