Northwestern University, J.D., cum laude, 1982
- Editorial Board, Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology
Pomona College, B.A., Economics, cum laude, 1979
American Health Lawyers Association
National Association of Bond Lawyers
Dan Bacastow is a partner in Chapman and Cutler’s National Public and Health & Education Finance Department. He has assisted states, municipalities, hospital systems, and universities and their underwriters, as well as issuers, in successfully structuring, restructuring, and implementing major tax-exempt ﬁnancings to meet their capital and infrastructure needs for more than 37 years.
He has served as bond counsel, underwriter's counsel, bank counsel, and borrower's counsel in ﬁnancings and related transactions and has structured, negotiated, and implemented innovative ﬁxed rate, variable rate, index rate, multimodal, commercial paper, 63-20, receivables, and put bond ﬁnancing structures. He has participated in the structuring, development and implementation of innovative P3 financing structures in the governmental and infrastructure markets. He has served as principal lender’s counsel and underwriter’s counsel in significant P3 structured tax-exempt bond offerings, from bid phase through structural close, including with respect to revenue bonds for toll-road and availability payment projects and for major university campus developments.
Dan has advised state and municipal issuers, health care systems, and universities with respect to continued compliance with tax-exempt bond document covenants, including in audits before the IRS. Additionally, he counsels clients with respect to securities law compliance, including in new offerings, remarketings and ongoing compliance, as well as proceedings before the SEC.
Dan speaks regularly before industry groups regarding compliance and regulatory developments.
Dan started his legal career at Chapman. Prior to rejoining Chapman in 2014, he practiced in the health care and infrastructure groups at Jones Day.
- IRS Provides Guidance Regarding Written Post-Issuance Compliance Procedures for Tax-Exempt Bonds, August 2011
- IRS TEB Publishes Final Report on Post-Issuance Compliance Survey, August 2011
- Form 990 Disclosure Requirements Challenge Hospitals, Provide Opportunities, The Health Lawyer / ABA Health Law Section, February 2009
- Proposed Regulations Modify Arbitrage Regulations, November 2007
- IRS Mandates Heightened Transparency in Redesigned Form 990, Health Lawyers News, Volume 11, Number 8, August 2007
- Panelist, "Disclosure," The Bond Buyer's Midwest Municipal Market Conference. June 5, 2019.
- Panelist, "Perspectives on Legal Issues and Recent Developments in Cross-Border Financing," National Association of Health and Educational Facilities Finance Authorities 2018 Fall Conference. September 12 – 14, 2018.
- Presenter, "Cross-Border Issuers: One Lawyer's Perspective on Legal Issues and Recent Developments," National Association of Health and Educational Facilities Finance Authorities Quad State Plus Conference. June 4 – 6, 2018.
- Panelist, "Financing Facilities Projects: What's Left, What's Next?" The Rooftops Conference Chicago. February 23, 2018.
- Co-Presenter, "P3 Market Trends," National Council for Public-Private Partnerships P3 Bootcamp. December 13 – 14, 2016.
- Co-Presenter, "Of Men and Mistakes: The Battle of Leyte Gulf, and Other Actions in the Pacific Theater in World War II," National Association of Health and Educational Facilities Finance Authorities Quad State Plus Conference. June 2 – 3, 2015.
- Panelist, "The SEC's Municipal Market Initiatives," National Association of Health and Educational Facilities Finance Authorities Fall Conference. September 10 – 11, 2014.