- Bankruptcy, Restructuring and Workouts
- Commercial Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Securities Litigation and Arbitration
- Corporate Counseling
- Fiduciary Litigation
- Real Estate
- Bank Defense
- Claims and Recovery Litigation
- Commercial Foreclosure and Real Estate Litigation
- Employment Law
- Workouts and Out-of-Court Restructurings
University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1985
University of Wisconsin - Madison, B.S., Philosophy/Political Science, 1982
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
U.S. District Court for Massachusetts
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
Dave Audley is a partner in the Banking and Financial Services Department and the Practice Group Leader of the Litigation Group. He has been practicing law since 1985 when he joined Chapman and Cutler LLP. He concentrates his practice in the commercial litigation area, particularly litigation involving creditor/debtor work, bankruptcy law, securitization and securities fraud issues, government finance and tax, and banking law.
Dave’s recent governmental assignments have involved serving as Special Assistant State’s Attorney for numerous Counties in Illinois, providing litigation representation in various civil matters involving finance and tax issues. He has practiced and submitted legal memoranda before the Illinois and United States Supreme Courts and various federal Courts of Appeals, and prosecuted one of the ten largest civil Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (“RICO”) Act damage awards ever rendered by a jury in the United States. Dave's professional activities have included presentations to the bar associations on litigation related matters, instruction of civil procedure courses, and periodically conducting in-house seminars on various litigation topics.
- Representation of a major religious organization against SEC charges of securities fraud
- Representation of $1 billion U.S. arm of Japanese investment firm in securitization litigation
- Representation of major Chicago bank on numerous multi-million dollar credits outside of and in bankruptcy
- Representation of minority shareholders in litigation resulting in precedent-setting multi-million dollar trial court judgment in favor of minority shareholders
- Special trial counsel to court-appointed Bankruptcy Trustee in multi-million dollar adversary proceeding
- Co-Author, "The Impact of COVID-19 on Pending and Newly Scheduled Court Hearings," Client Alert. March 19, 2020.
- Co-Author, "Recent Noteworthy Securitization Case: In re Doctors Hospital of Hyde Park, Inc. 2013 WL 5524696 (Bankr. N.D. III. 2013)," Client Alert. October 23, 2013.
Co-Author, "The Case of Missing or Incomplete Documents in CMBS Transactions, a Legal Perspective," Real Estate Finance Journal. Spring 2001.