David Kates is a partner and the Co-Practice Group Leader of Chapman's National Public and Health & Education Finance Department. His practice is focused on tax-exempt and taxable financings for nonprofit health care entities. He has worked as bond counsel, underwriter's counsel, issuer's counsel, borrower's counsel, restructuring counsel, and purchaser's counsel in both tax-exempt and taxable health care transactions.
These transactions have entailed a wide variety of document structures, including multimodal transactions, embedded derivatives, forward commitments, and swaps. David has also represented providers of derivative products, guaranteed investment contracts, interest rate swaps, repurchase agreements, and forward delivery agreements.
David is a frequent lecturer at national conferences on issues related to tax-exempt bond financings and bond compliance.
David started his legal career at Chapman. Prior to rejoining Chapman in 2014, he practiced in the health care group at Jones Day.
- Panelist, "The Evolving Role of the Underwriter's Counsel," National Association of Bond Lawyers 15th Annual Tax and Securities Law Institute. March 9 – 10, 2017.
- Moderator, "Health Care Facilities — Non-Tax Matters" and "Pay for Success Social Impact Bonds," National Association of Bond Lawyers 41st Bond Attorneys' Workshop. October 19 – 21, 2016.
- Panelist, "Social Impact Bonds," Spring Conference of the National Association of Health and Educational Facilities Finance Authorities. March 24 – 26, 2015.
- Moderator, "Pay for Success Social Impact Bonds," National Association of Bond Lawyers 40th Bond Attorneys' Workshop. September 9 – 11, 2015.
- Chair/Panelist, "Current Topics in Health Care Finance," National Association of Bond Lawyers 39th Bond Attorneys Workshop. September 17 – 19, 2014.
Washington University, J.D., with honors, 1995
- Order of the Coif
- Notes and Developments Editor, Law Review
Brandeis University, B.A,. cum laude with high honors, 1992
National Association of Bond Lawyers