Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2005
Northwestern University, B.S., 2000
David Sykes is a partner in Chapman's Asset Securitization Department. His practice focuses on the representation of lenders, lessors, issuers and investors in renewable energy and fintech transactions. His experience includes matters involving debt and equity finance transactions (including tax equity transactions), securitizations, joint ventures, asset acquisitions and divestments.
From managing the legal and compliance functions at several VC-funded start-ups that originated innovative consumer and commercial loan, lease and PPA products via technology platforms, David has deep experience in enabling the development, deployment and servicing of technology-enabled lending products and the creation of systems that aggregate the resulting facilities and financial assets into portfolios that can support more-efficient capital structures.
Prior to moving in-house, David primarily represented clients in connection with the ownership, construction, operation and financing of electricity generation assets throughout the United States (including solar, wind, hydro, bio-mass, geothermal and hydro-carbon facilities).
David started his legal career at Chapman. Prior to rejoining the firm in 2018, David served as General Counsel of Renew Financial, an originator of novel financial products, including consumer and commercial PACE assessments and unsecured loans, to finance energy efficiency improvements.
- Representation of a borrower in a credit facility backed by interests in commercial PACE assets
- Representation of a sponsor establishing a titling trust to purchase commercial PACE assets
- Moderator, "Commercial and Residential PACE: Market Update," SFIG Vegas 2019 Conference. February 24, 2019.
- Panelist, "Streamlining Financial Market Availability of DER Assets through Orange Button," SunSpec Solar and Storage Finance Summit. September 12, 2018.
- Panelist, "The PACE Universe," 6th Annual Green Investing Conference. April 18, 2018.