Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1986
Siena College, B.S., Finance, magna cum laude, 1983
District of Columbia
Structured Finance Association
Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA)
District of Columbia Bar
State Bar of California
Mike Mitchell is a partner in Chapman and Cutler’s Asset Securitization Department. He joined the firm in 2012.
Mike serves as counsel to financial institutions in capital markets and debt financing transactions and regularly advises clients on application of the federal securities laws and Dodd-Frank implementing regulations in the structured finance market. He has extensive experience representing issuers and underwriters in consumer asset-backed securitization transactions, including transactions supported by credit card receivables, consumer loans, motor vehicle loans and leases, dealer floorplan receivables, and student loans.
For more than a decade, Mike has led industry advocacy initiatives responding to the most extensive regulatory reforms ever to impact the structured finance market. He has served as outside counsel to the Structured Finance Association, and previously to the American Securitization Forum (ASF). He has drafted industry comment letters on Regulation AB (2004), Regulation AB2 (2010/2011) and the Prohibition on Material Conflicts of Interest (2012), and served as Chair of the Structured Finance Association's Revolving Master Trust Working Group in connection with its industry advocacy on Risk Retention.
Prior to joining the firm, Mike was a partner in the Structured Finance Group at Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP. Before that, he served as a Special Counsel with the Securities and Exchange Commission in the Office of the Chief Counsel for the Division of Corporation Finance. At the SEC, Mike had extensive involvement in oversight of the structured finance market and worked on a proposal—a precursor to Regulation AB—to develop disclosure and reporting guidelines for asset-backed issuers.
- Panelist, "Reg AB II," IMN's 22nd Annual ABS East Conference. September 18 – 20, 2016.
- Moderator, "The Realities of Implementing Reg AB II,” IMN’s 21st Annual ABS East Conference. September 16 – 18, 2015.
- Moderator, "The Final Reg AB II Rule: Key Highlights,” IMN and SFIG’s ABS Vegas Conference. February 8 – 11, 2015.
- Panelist, "Reg AB II: Key Issues for Implementation," SIFMA's Securitization Spotlight. October 3, 2014.
- Moderator, "Reg AB II: An Overview of the New Rules and What They Mean for Issuers and Investors,” IMN's 20th Annual ABS East Conference. September 21 – 23, 2014.
Honors & Awards
Ranked in Capital Markets: Securitization—Global, Chambers Global, 2014
Ranked in Capital Markets: Securitization—Nationwide, Chambers USA, 2006-present
Listed in Best Lawyers, Securitization and Structured Finance Law, 2006-present