University of Illinois, J.D., cum laude, 1980
University of Illinois, B.S., Accounting, 1977
Certified Public Accounting Examination, 1977
National Association of Bond Lawyers
Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys
Mike Mitchell is a partner in Chapman's National Public and Health & Education Finance Department. For more than 30 years, Mike has served as bond counsel, underwriter's counsel, or borrower's counsel in connection with financings by not-for-profit entities.
He has worked with health care and cultural institutions ranging from large multistate borrowers to small providers of community health care. Mike has served as underwriter's counsel to many of the Wall Street investment banks, as well as to a number of regional investment banks. Mike also has represented commercial banks in connection with the provision of credit and liquidity facilities for health care financings.
Mike started his legal career at Chapman. Prior to rejoining Chapman in 2014, he practiced in the health care group at Jones Day.
- IRS Provides Guidance Regarding Written Post-Issuance Compliance Procedures for Tax-Exempt Bonds, August 2011
- IRS TEB Publishes Final Report on Post-Issuance Compliance Survey, August 2011
- IRS TEB Publishes Final Report On Post-Issuance Compliance Survey, reprinted in Health Lawyers Weekly, July 2011
- Proposed Regulations Modify Arbitrage Regulations, November 2007
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America (2007-present), including "Public Finance Law Lawyer of the Year" (2013, Chicago)