University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1987
- Lead Articles Editor, Notre Dame Journal of Law, Ethics & Public Policy
University of Notre Dame, B.B.A., Accounting, cum laude, 1984
Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
- Women's Board Member
Associated Colleges of Illinois
- Past Board Member
Notre Dame Club of Chicago
- Past President and Board Member
Notre Dame Club Scholarship Foundation
- Board Member
American College of Bond Counsel (ACBC)
National Association of Bond Lawyers
Nancy Burke is a partner and the Co-Practice Group Leader of the National Public and Health & Education Finance Department.
Nancy has been practicing law since 1987 when she joined Chapman and Cutler. She has devoted substantially all of her time to the field of tax-exempt and taxable bond financings for healthcare, educational, and cultural institutions. She serves as bond counsel, disclosure counsel, underwriter’s counsel, and special corporate counsel.
Nancy has worked on a wide range of tax-exempt and taxable financings throughout the country, and has served as bond counsel and disclosure counsel to state authorities, cities, villages, and counties. Among others, she has served as bond counsel, underwriter’s counsel, or special corporate counsel on bond issues for the benefit of Advocate Health Care Network, The University of Chicago Medical Center, the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Providence Health System, Mount Sinai Medical Center, NorthShore University Health System, OSF Healthcare System, Northwestern University, The University of Chicago, Loyola University of Chicago, DePaul University, University of Notre Dame, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Museum of Science and Industry, The Shedd Aquarium, The Adler Planetarium, and the Field Museum of Natural History.
In September 2013, Nancy was elected a Fellow of the American College of Bond Counsel.
In addition to her extensive client representation, Nancy is a regular speaker at industry conferences and client in-house seminars on the following topics:
- 501(c)(3) finance
- Capital Campaign Issues
- Private Use Issues
- Disclosure Matters
- Post Issuance Compliance
- Ongoing Debt Management
- Co-Author, “Using Qualified Equity and Tax-Exempt Obligations to Finance a Mixed-Use Project," Real Estate Taxation, 2nd Quarter 2019.
- Co-Author, “Using Qualified Equity and Tax-Exempt Obligations to Finance a Mixed-Use Project," Taxation of Exempts, May/June 2019.
- Co-Author, “New Guidance on Management and Service Contracts for Property Financed with Proceeds of Tax-Exempt Obligations,” Journal of Taxation. June 2017.
- Co-Author, “Excessive Private Business Use," Taxation of Exempts. May/June 2017.
- Presenter, "Bond Counsel Perspective on Issues Affecting Non-Profit Health Care Borrowers," 2018 National Association of Health and Educational Facilities Finance Authorities Quad State Plus Conference. June 4 – 6, 2018.
- Presenter, "Administering Management Contracts and the New Safe Harbors," Treasury Institute for Higher Education's Tax-Exempt Bond Compliance Workshop. December 4 – 6, 2017.
- Panelist, "Health Care Facilities — Non-Tax Matters," National Association of Bond Lawyers 42nd Annual Bond Attorneys' Workshop. October 4 – 6, 2017.
- Panelist, "Tax-Exempt Bond Processes and Rules from Alpha to Omega" and "Remedial Action and Voluntary Closing Agreement Program (VCAP)," Treasury Institute for Higher Education's Tax-Exempt Bond Compliance Workshop. December 7 – 9, 2015.
- Presenter, "Issues in SEC & Tax Compliance," 2015 National Association of Health and Educational Facilities Finance Authorities Quad State Plus Conference. June 2 – 3, 2015.
- Panelist, “Tax-Exempt Bond Compliance Process and Rules from Alpha to Omega,” Treasury Institute for Higher Education’s Tax-Exempt Bond Compliance Workshop. December 10 – 12, 2014.