New York University School of Law, J.D., 1994
- Senior Editor, The Journal of International Law and Politics
Brooklyn College, B.A., 1991
US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
US District Court for the District of Colorado
US District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
US District Court for the Northern District of New York
US District Court for the Southern District of New York
US Supreme Court
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Turnaround Management Association
Clerkship to Judge Tina L. Brozman of the US Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York, 1994-1996
Steve Wilamowsky is a partner in Chapman and Cutler’s Bankruptcy and Restructuring Group. He regularly represents investors, creditors, and lenders in complex restructurings, in and out of bankruptcy court.
Steve has extensive experience representing clients in bankruptcy litigation matters, at both the plenary and appellate levels, and in connection with the restructuring of distressed development projects, in both domestic and cross-border proceedings. He also represents investors and buyers of distressed assets through chapter 11 sales.
Prior to joining Chapman in 2015, Steve was a partner at Bingham McCutchen, where, among other things, he represented the estates in the Refco chapter 11 cases, a major swap counterparty in the City of Detroit’s chapter 9 case, the bondholder committee in a large supermarket restructuring, several trust creditors in the Madoff SIPA proceedings, insider and non-insider defendants in a series of actions alleging eight-figure fraudulent transfer claims, and large institutional lenders, loan purchasers, and servicers in a number of mortgage originator cases.
- Presented dozens of classes in New York-area public and private high schools and colleges about the danger of consumer credit abuse through the public service C.A.R.E. Program
- Member of the Steering Committee of the New York City Bankruptcy Assistance Project, a pro bono project within Legal Services of New York
- Super Lawyers, New York Metro (2006–2012)
- Outstanding Young Restructuring Lawyer, Turnarounds & Workouts (2007)
- Co-Author, "In Lakeridge, Concurring Justices Take the Spotlight," Law360. March 12, 2018.
- Co-Author, "Third Circuit Confirms Limits of the Rooker-Feldman Doctrine," Law360. January 22, 2018.
- Co-Author, "On Second Thought: EFH Court's Extraordinary Move," Law360. October 18, 2017.
- Co-Author, "Justice Deferred: What High Court Won't Review in Lakeridge," Law360. April 13, 2017.
- Co-Author, "Midstream Oil & Gas Contracts Seeing Changes Following Bankruptcy Court Scrutiny," ACIC Private Notes. September 2016.
- Author, "Making Public-Sector Restructurings Work," The Wall Street Journal Pro — Bankruptcy. July 19, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Red or Black? Difficult Decisions Ahead for Atlantic City," Law360. June 23, 2016.
- Co-Author, "A Cautionary Tale for Over-Secured Creditors," Law360. May 25, 2016.
- Author, "Municipal Bankruptcy, Atlantic City and Other Games of Chance," The Wall Street Journal. May 24, 2016.
- Author, "Last Resort: Municipal Bankruptcy, Atlantic City, and Other Games of Chance," Daily Bankruptcy Review. May 24, 2016.
- Author, "A Sui Generis Approach to 'Insider' Status in Bankruptcy," Law360. February 17, 2016.
- Co-Author, "11th Circ. Restricts Equitable Mootness," Law360. January 5, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Default Interest in Chapter 11: What Sagamore Partners Means for Lenders," Journal of Taxation and Regulation of Financial Institutions. November/December 2015.
- Co-Author, "EFH Ruling Impairs Creditor Reliance on Indenture Trustees," Law360. November 12, 2015.
- Co-Author, "The Precedential Value of Sagamore Partners," Law360. July 22, 2015.
- December 18, 2015