Law StudentsPrint Page
Chapman’s Summer Associate Program frequently ranks as one of the best in the nation by The American Lawyer Summer Associates Survey. We hire summer associates with the most potential to become our future partners, meaning that our summer associates are involved with substantive work, contributing to projects across various practice areas that will include direct contact with clients and industry leaders.
Why Choose Chapman?
One-third of our partners started at Chapman as summer associates. In turn, our partners are dedicated to mentoring each class of summer associates, introducing them to a variety of practice areas and matters.
Mentoring at Chapman
Each summer associate is assigned an Associate Advisor, a Training Partner, and an Employment Committee liaison to provide:
- Feedback on each project they complete, including their summer associate research project
- Two formal review sessions over the course of the program
- Ongoing informal reviews and guidance
- Career and practice area advice
Training at Chapman
Our Summer Associate Program is designed to expose students to the full range of our practice areas, which involves working alongside Training Partners on real deals with real clients and training in:
- Business communication
- Legal writing
- Legal technology platforms
- Negotiation skills
Summer Associate Events
Chapman sponsors a variety of events for our summer associates, such as:
- Architecture Tour on the Chicago River and Lake Michigan
- Baseball games with prime seats
- Casino Night
- Cooking competitions
- Restaurant takeovers at top Chicago dining destinations
- Scavenger hunt team-building activity
Here's What Former Summer Associates Say:
“I have worked in office environments before, but I have never experienced the camaraderie and support that I have experienced at Chapman this summer. Everything from Chapman events to softball games to brief conversations in the hallway have shown me that Chapman has created a work environment that is unlike any other.”
“I was concerned that because I did not have a finance background that I would quickly fall behind or become disinterested with the subject matter. What happened this summer was quite the opposite! I have thoroughly enjoyed the projects I have worked on this summer, and I have often found myself wanting to keep learning so I can start to build the foundation for becoming a valuable asset to the firm.”
“I think Chapman is ahead of the curve in terms of adapting to the evolving legal market and is very well-managed.”
Apply or Visit Us On Campus
We encourage students who are academically successful, self-starting, intellectually curious, and enjoy working in teams to apply for our program online or visit us on campus. We encourage law students from all types of academic backgrounds to apply. Our program is designed to teach our summer associates about the financial services sector—prior knowledge of the financial industry is not required to be a successful summer associate at Chapman.
The application period for the 2020 Summer Associate Program is now closed.
Visit Us On Campus
At the start of every school year, Chapman attorneys and hiring professionals visit prominent law schools and attend job fairs across the country to recruit our next class of summer associates.
Below is the 2019 On Campus Interview schedule:
- Tuesday, July 23 — Cook County Minority Job Fair
- Monday, July 29 — University of Iowa
- Tuesday, July 30 — Indiana in Chicago Job Fair
- Thursday, August 1 — University of Michigan
- Monday, August 5 — DePaul University
- Tuesday, August 6 — University of Notre Dame
- Tuesday, August 6 — University of Illinois
- Tuesday, August 6 — Howard University
- Wednesday, August 7 – Chicago-Kent
- Wednesday, August 7 — University of Chicago
- Thursday, August 8 — Loyola University Chicago
- Thursday, August 8 — Northwestern University
- Friday, August 9 — Lavender Law Career Fair
- Tuesday, August 13 – Washington University
Compensation & Benefits
Chapman offers very competitive compensation and generous benefits. We support full-time, flex-time and alternative work policies, offer extended maternity and paternity leave, provide access to backup child and elder care, and offer a tax gross up for health care benefits for same-sex couples. Additionally, we encourage our attorneys to become active participants in bar associations and other professional associations by paying dues and related costs for an organization of their choice. Chapman also pays a stipend to incoming first-year associates who are studying for the bar exam and fully reimburses the cost of bar registration and related expenses.
In addition, Chapman attorneys and employees enjoy a variety of workplace benefits, such as:
- Coffee grounds recycling for gardeners
- Firm-sponsored 5Ks and other runs/walks
- In-house farmers markets
- In-house yoga and other exercise classes
- Jeans on Fridays
- Organized volunteer & pro bono opportunities
- Weekly fruit delivery
Applications for Chapman Diversity Scholarship Open Through September 4, 2020
2L law students are invited to apply for the Chapman and Cutler LLP Maynard H. Jackson Jr. Diversity Scholarship through September 4, 2020. The $10,000 scholarship, established to support a second year law student who has demonstrated a commitment to diversity, is named for the late Maynard Jackson, the first African-American Mayor of Atlanta and a public finance partner at Chapman (1982-1990). Click here for eligibility, selection criteria, and application information.