Aaron Krieger is an associate in Chapman’s Bankruptcy and Restructuring Group and is a member of Chapman’s Banking and Financial Services Department.
Aaron’s practice focusses on complex commercial restructurings and both distressed and non-distressed transactions involving mergers and acquisitions, equity investments, and special situations financings. Aaron also represents creditors, debtors, and third-parties in bankruptcy-related litigation, debtor-in-possession (DIP) financings and purchases of assets in chapter 11 proceedings, or “363 sales.” Aaron’s clients include hedge funds, private equity funds, alternative lenders, venture capital funds, banks, and other financial institutions, as well as private company borrowers and debtors.
Aaron is an active member of The LGBTQ+ Bar and interviews law students for Chapman’s summer associate program at The LGBTQ+ Bar’s annual Lavender Law conference. Aaron also maintains a pro bono practice, having represented asylum seekers, individuals involved in pending deportation matters, and clients seeking executive clemency.
Prior to joining Chapman, Aaron was an associate in the New York office of an Am Law 20 firm.
Bankruptcy and Restructuring
- Represents banks and other financial institutions in out-of-court credit workouts and loan restructurings
- Represents indenture trustee in connection with the default of publicly traded bonds secured by real estate projects located in New York
- Represented indenture trustee in connection with the restructuring of $250 million of bonds issued by All Year Holdings Ltd. and secured by one of two residential apartment buildings that comprise The Denizen, a 911-unit complex in Brooklyn, New York
- Represented the indenture trustee in connection with the restructuring of publicly traded bonds
- Represented the debtor in a chapter 11 case implicating novel data privacy and security issues
- Represented ad hoc groups of bondholders in connection with restructurings of bonds and convertible notes
- Represented energy financier in restructuring of portfolio of renewable energy projects
- Represented senior secured lender in connection with chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding commenced by auto dealership
- Represented hedge funds and other investment vehicles in complex corporate restructurings, DIP financings, bankruptcy acquisitions and non-distressed financing transactions
- Represented equipment lessors, equipment financers and municipal finance parties in bankruptcy proceedings in Illinois, New York and Texas
Private Fund Transactions
- Represents investment fund in connection with mezzanine and secured mortgage loans to owners of commercial and residential real estate located in the US
- Represents venture and investment funds in connection with equity features of financing transactions
- Represented Clairvest Group Inc., Clairvest Equity Partners VI, and Rubico Gaming LLC in the acquisition of the Delaware Park casino and racetrack in Wilmington, Delaware
- Represented a private investment firm in the acquisition of a provider of flow and energy measurement technologies and services
- Represented a legacy New York-based university in connection with a complex sublease transaction
- Represented a private investment firm in the acquisition of a supplier of high-precision metal components
- Represented a private company in a cross-border investment in a US accounting business
- Represented the major equity sponsor in connection with the sale of equity in the holding company of two "racinos" in Indiana
- Represented private investment firm in the acquisition of a commercial vehicle suspension component supplier
- Represented a commercial finance company based in Toronto in connection with a series of transactions to sell rail assets
- Banking and Financial Services
- Bankruptcy, Restructuring and Workouts
- Claims and Recovery Litigation
- Corporate Counseling
- Creditors’ Rights in Bankruptcy Proceedings
- Distressed Investing
- General Corporate
- Israel Practice
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Senior Lending
- Workouts and Out-of-Court Restructurings
American Bankruptcy Institute
The LGBTQ+ Bar
New York, 2014
U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, 2018
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 2016
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2019
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2013
- The Georgetown International Environmental Law Review
Columbia University, B.A., cum laude, 2010
- Acquisition of High-Precision Metal Components Supplier
Chapman represented Turnspire Capital Partners LLC, a special situations-focused private investment firm, in its acquisition of the assets of MPI Holdings, LLC, a leading supplier of formed metal products to the North America automotive industry.
- Acquisition of Commercial Vehicle Suspension Component Supplier
Chapman represented Turnspire Capital Partners LLC, a special situations-focused private investment firm, in its acquisition of Infinity Engineered Products, a leading provider of premium air springs for trucks, trailers, buses, and specialty vehicles.
- Acquisition and Financing of Delaware Park Casino and Racetrack
Chapman served as lead counsel to Clairvest Group Inc., Clairvest Equity Partners VI, and Rubico Gaming LLC in the acquisition and financing of the Delaware Park casino and racetrack in Wilmington, Delaware. Partner Cathy Rossouw led the Chapman deal team that included Michael Friedman, Aaron Krieger, Helena Honig, and Carson Klarck on the acquisition, and Simone Tatsch, Nick Whitney, Eric Manor, and Jenny Kawamura on the financing.
- Chapman Served as US Counsel to an Israel-Based Trustee in Connection with the $506 Million Sale of New York Residential Apartment Buildings
Chapman served as US counsel to Mishmeret Trust Company Ltd., an Israel-based trustee, in connection with the restructuring of $250 million of bonds issued by All Year Holdings Ltd. and secured by one of two residential apartment buildings that comprise The Denizen, a 911-unit complex located on the site of the former Rheingold Brewery in the Bushwick neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York.
- Acquisition of Measurement and Control Business of Emerson Electric
Chapman represented Turnspire Capital Partners LLC, a special situations-focused private investment firm, in its acquisition of Daniel Measurement and Control, a global leader in providing measurement technologies and services for the energy industry, from Emerson Electric Co.
- Co-Author, "Strictly Speaking: What Lenders Need to Know about Strict Foreclosure and Restructurings," Chapman and Cutler LLP, September 2020
- Co-Author, "Delaware District Court Supports Secured Creditor Gift Plans," The Banking Law Journal, February 2019
- Co-Author, "More Cautionary Tales in Puerto Rico's Restructuring," Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law, November/December 2018
- Co-Author, "Bankruptcy Desk Reference for Equipment Lenders and Lessors," Chapman and Cutler LLP, October 2018
- Co-Author, "In Lakeridge, Concurring Justices Take the Spotlight," Law360, March 12, 2018
- Co-Author, "First Circuit’s Old Cold Decision Cools Fears of Expanded Scope of Jevic’s Reach; Declines to Apply Jevic to Disturb Assumption of Liabilities in 363 Sale that may have Violated Absolute Priority Rule," Client Alert, February 7, 2018
- Co-Author, "Puerto Rico Court Reduces Protections Available to Special Revenue Bondholders," Client Alert, February 6, 2018
- Co-Author, "The Bankruptcy Eligibility of Quasi-Government Entities," Law360, February 5, 2018
- Co-Author, "Bankruptcy Eligibility Ruling: In re Lombard Public Facilities Corporation," Client Alert, January 11, 2018
- Co-Author, "Second Circuit Reverses MPM Silicones’ “Prime Plus” Formula for Cramdown Interest Rates, Delivering Secured Creditors a Welcome Victory and Resetting Market Expectations," Client Alert, October 30, 2017
- Co-Author, "Momentive vs EFIH: Second Circuit Splits with Third Circuit on Make-Whole; Keeps Pressure on Lenders to Negotiate Express Make-Whole Provisions," Client Alert, October 30, 2017
- Co-Author, "Make-Whole Update: Texas Bankruptcy Court Awards Unsecured Bondholders’ ‘Enormous’ Make-Whole Claim, with Interest, Over Solvent Debtors’ Objection," Westlaw Journal Bankruptcy, October 19, 2017
- Co-Author, "Equipment Leases in Bankruptcy: A Plan for Riding out the Storm," Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law, September 2017
- Co-Author, "Bankruptcy Desk Reference for Equipment Lessors," Chapman and Cutler LLP, June 2017
- Co-Author, "Justice Deferred: What Hight Court Won't Review in Lakeridge," Law360, April 13, 2017
- Co-Author, "Midstream Oil & Gas Contracts Seeing Changes Following Bankruptcy Court Scrutiny," ACIC Private Notes, September 2016
- Co-Author, "Make-Whole Update: Delaware Bankruptcy Court Rules Intercreditor Agreement Does Not Permit First Lien Noteholders to Demand Payment of Previously Disallowed Make‑Whole from Junior Noteholders," Client Alert, June 27, 2016
- "In for a Shock: Issues Affecting Creditors in the PG&E Chapter 11 Cases," Chapman's 2019 CLE Marathon. May 8, 2019.
- "Bankruptcy Issues for Creditors of Non-Profit Organizations," Chapman's 2018 CLE Marathon. May 2, 2018
- "Bankruptcy Issues for Secured Creditors: Developments in Make-Whole Litigation and Cram-Down Interest," Chapman's 2017 CLE Marathon. May 10, 2017.