- Asset Securitization
- Banking and Financial Services
- Collateralized Loan Obligations and Collateralized Debt Obligations
- Commercial Paper and Bank-Financed Transactions
- Community Development and Charter School Finance
- Consumer Loans
- Corporate Finance and Securities
- Credit Card Receivables
- Equipment Finance Receivables
- Esoteric Assets and Emerging Asset Classes
- Industry Advocacy and Regulatory Counsel
- Mortgage-Backed Securities
- Motor Vehicle Loans, Leases, and Floorplan Receivables
- Renewable Energy Finance
- Sports Finance
- Student Loans and Education Finance
- Timeshare Receivables
- Trade Receivables
- Transportation Assets
- Trustees and Back-Up Servicers
University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1990
- Editor-in-Chief, Virginia Journal of International Law
Yale University, B.A., History, 1987
John Hitt is a partner in the Asset Securitization Department of Chapman and Cutler LLP. Since joining the firm, John’s work has involved the structuring and negotiation of a variety of securitization transactions, including transactions backed by student loans, timeshare interests, trade receivables, credit card receivables, equipment notes and leases, automobile loans, commercial loans, high yield debt, residential and commercial mortgage loans and various other types of contract rights.
John’s work also includes the representation investors in alternative investments. His corporate finance experience also includes representation of issuers and investors in debt and equity offerings in private placements and public offerings. In addition, John’s experience includes general corporate representation and the representation of financial institutions in their sale or acquisition of portfolios of master servicing and trustee appointments.
- Representation of a major aircraft engine manufacturer and its special purpose subsidiary in an $2.3 billion receivables facility and the manufacturer in a separate $200 million receivables facility
- Representation of parties in transactions financing the purchase of receivables owed to vendors by a state government
- Representation of trustees and back-up servicers in connection with various public, private and Rule 144A securitization, and corporate debt transactions
- Representation of an aircraft lessor in connection with its warehouse funding transactions
- Representation of the note purchaser in connection with an offering of $675 million of student loan-backed notes
- Representation of the term note investors in the $1.5 billion receivables facility of Major League Baseball Trust
- Representation of state pension plans and the trustee for a private foundation in various hedge funds and private equity funds
- Representation of a co-investor of a joint venture established to sponsor CLO transactions backed by mezzanine and second-lien loans
- Panelist, "The Private Placement Market," 23rd Annual ABS East Conference. September 17 – 19, 2017.
- Presenter, "Fundamentals of Solar Finance," Fourth Annual Sunshine Backed Bonds Conference. April 21, 2016.
- Panelist, "Industry Panel: The State of the Solar Asset Class, Best Practices and Emerging Standards," Intersolar North America Conference. July 13, 2015.
- Panelist, "Renewable Energy Finance: Key Concerns and New Solutions in Asset Management," Third Annual Sunshine Backed Bonds Conference. April 30 – May 1, 2015.
- Panel Moderator, "Track A Solar Securitization: Understanding Market Potential," Sunshine Backed Bonds Conference. May 2, 2014.
- Panelist, "Rating Obstacles and Opportunities for Solar Asset Securitization," Intersolar North America Conference. July 2013.
- Panel Moderator, "Trustee Roundtable," American Securitization Forum. January 25, 2012.
- Guest lecturer at Chicago-Kent College of Law regarding Securitization and the financial crisis
- Presenter to various clients for continuing legal education on TALF, PPIP and the financial crisis
- Prepared and presented materials at training sessions regarding Regulation AB for various clients