University of Miami School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2005
- University of Miami Business Law Review
Indiana University, B.S., Finance, 2000
Association of Governmental Leasing and Finance
National Association of Local Housing Finance Agencies
National Council of State Housing Agencies
Texas Association of Local Housing Finance Agencies
Ryan Bowen is senior counsel in Chapman’s National Public and Health & Education Finance Department. Ryan has experience serving as bond and underwriter’s counsel in connection with a variety of bond financings and as investor’s counsel with respect to the purchase of various state and local government obligations.
Ryan has experience serving as bond counsel and underwriter’s counsel on private activity bond financings, including single family and multifamily housing bond transactions. His housing finance experience includes serving as partnership counsel in connection with multifamily financings involving the use of tax credits.
Ryan routinely advises banks and other institutional investors in connection with the structuring, purchase, placement and securitization of state and local government obligations structured as municipal bonds, loans and leases. He also has experience structuring trust vehicles to enable the securitization of tax-exempt assets.
Ryan has significant experience as counsel to providers of municipal reinvestment products, including representation of investment banks and special purpose entities providing fixed and floating rate investment agreements, repurchase agreements and forward delivery agreements to bond issuers in the public finance market.
Ryan routinely provides counsel on various securities law matters, including SEC and MSRB rules and regulations governing the municipal securities market and disclosure practices.
Prior to attending law school, Ryan worked as a consultant for PwC Consulting (formerly the consulting division of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP) in Washington, DC.
- "The Basics of Tax-Exempt Leasing," National Association of Bond Lawyers, Annual Bond Attorneys' Workshop, October 2017
- "Multifamily Housing Bonds and 4% Tax Credits," National Association of Local Housing Finance Agencies, Fall Conference, September 2017
- “Single Family Challenges and Opportunities,” Texas Association of Local Housing Finance Agencies, Annual Conference, September 2016
- “Trends in Housing Bonds for Local HFAs,” National Association of Local Housing Finance Agencies, Annual Conference, April 2016
- “What’s New in the Regulation of Municipal Securities?” Annual Conference National Association of Local Housing Finance Agencies, Annual Conference, May 2015
- "Current Trends in SEC Municipal Disclosure Enforcement," National Association of Local Housing Finance Agencies, Annual Conference, April 2014
- "Compliance with MSRB Rule G-17," Texas Association of Local Housing Finance Agencies, Annual Conference, October 2012