Brian Free is a partner in the Corporate and Securities Department and has been with Chapman and Cutler LLP since 1992.
Brian has extensive experience in securities law matters with an emphasis on registered investment companies, including the representation of unit investment trusts, mutual funds and closed-end funds. He is also experienced in investment advisor, broker-dealer, transfer agent and state blue-sky issues and in structuring private placement agreements and hedge funds.
- Counsel to the issuer of an $80 million - plus unit investment trust structured for sale to foreign purchasers
- Counsel to the issuer of a series of unit investment trusts designed as investment vehicles for qualified retirement plans
- Company counsel in connection with registration as a transfer agent under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934
- Counsel to the issuer of several unit investment trusts employing a "fund of funds" structure through their investment in shares of various high-yield, investment grade and/or municipal closed-end funds
- Company counsel with respect to the registration of employee stock ownership plans
Chicago Bar Association
Greater Chicago Investment Management Group
Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., with honors, 1991
Miami University, B.S., Finance, 1988