Carey Gaughan is a partner in Chapman’s Commercial Lending Group and a member of the Banking and Financial Services Department. His practice focuses on commercial lending and private equity finance transactions.
Carey represents banks, nonbank lenders, other financial institutions, and borrowers in a wide range of syndicated and single-lender commercial loan facilities, including asset-based and cash flow loans and senior secured, mezzanine, and split collateral structures. His experience spans numerous industries, with particular focus on health care, energy, food, beverage and agriculture, consumer and media.
Carey also represents venture capital funds, private equity funds, family offices, and public companies in connection with minority and majority equity investments and convertible debt investments, mergers and acquisitions, and fund formation matters. He has represented private equity funds in preparation and negotiation of limited partnership agreements and related fund formation documents. On the investor side, he has also represented investors in limited partnership investments in private equity funds.
Prior to joining the firm in 2011, Carey worked as an associate at Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP in New York. He also worked as a legal intern at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- $5 million Series A preferred stock investment: Represented venture capital fund in minority investment in seller of consumer personal care products through social media influencers
- $50 million preferred equity investment: Represented financial institution in proposed preferred equity investment being issued by a non-traded BDC
- $25 million preferred equity investment: Represented financial services public company in preferred equity investment in provider of consumer loans
- $20 million stock purchase agreement: Represented private equity fund as buyer in acquisition of provider of freeze drying equipment
- $5 million investment in fintech venture capital fund: Represented financial services public company in $5 million capital commitment to a fintech-focused venture capital fund
- $52 million sponsor acquisition financing to a management services organization managing multiple orthopaedic physician practices
- $80 million sponsor acquisition financing to a management services organization managing multiple ophthalmology practices
- $400 million term loan, revolver and delayed draw term loan facility to one of the largest owner, manager and operators of physical therapy centers in the US
- $50 million term loan and delayed draw term loan facility to a public company in a split collateral structure with an asset-based revolving lender
- $160 million term loan and revolving credit facility to food company
- $25 million asset-based revolving credit facility to food company as part of acquisition financing
Emory University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2008
Georgetown University, B.A., English, magna cum laude, 2002