Cathy Rossouw is a transactional private equity and corporate attorney and a partner in Chapman's Special Situations and Restructuring Group. Cathy’s diverse practice covers traditional mergers and acquisitions and private equity transactions, as well as early-stage equity financings, lender equity kickers, secondary market transactions, and general corporate advice. Her approach to advising clients is practical, collaborative, and results oriented.
Cathy regularly represents hedge funds, private equity funds, alternative lenders, banks, and other financial institutions in complex equity transactions and portfolio company acquisitions and works closely with corporate clients and start up companies on everyday corporate matters, including commercial contracts, stockholder agreements, LLC operating agreements, equity incentive programs, and strategic investments.
In addition to private equity, M&A, and start-up equity transactions, Cathy collaborates with her colleagues in the Bankruptcy and Restructuring Group in connection with event driven and special situation investments, and with the Commercial Lending Group to advise both lenders and borrowers on the equity features of financing transactions, including warrants, co-investments, SAFE instruments, and convertible notes.
Cathy is also the firm’s professional development partner and works closely with the talent development team and practice group leaders to formulate and deliver the firm’s professional development program.
Prior to moving to New York, Cathy practiced law in Australia.
Private Equity and Hedge Funds
- Represented Perceptive Advisors, a life sciences-focused hedge fund, in a $20 million senior debt facility for a biotechnology company pioneering a new class of small-molecule drugs that selectively destroy disease-causing proteins via degredation
- Represented the major equity sponsor in connection with the sale of equity in the holding company of two “racinos” in Indiana
- Represented a Connecticut-based private equity fund in the restructuring of the debt, and eventual sale, of stock of a portfolio company
- Represented a commercial finance company based in Toronto in connection with a series of transactions to sell rail assets
- Represented a New York private equity sponsor in the purchase of a precision injection molding company with operations in the US, UK and China
- Represented a Connecticut-based private investment company in connection with early stage investments in several consumer-brand companies, including ongoing portfolio company representation
- Represented a private equity sponsor in the purchase of distressed bank loans and the related equity foreclosure action to become the owner of a Pennsylvania-based logistics company
- Represented a Canadian private equity sponsor in the purchase of a major equity interest in a US based gaming company
- Represented a New York hedge fund in connection with the sale of a Mexico-based manufacturing company
- Represented a Texas private equity firm in connection with a bid to purchase a chemical manufacturer in a Section 363 auction
- Represented a New York-based alternative lender in connection with equity tag-along opportunities
- Represented a life sciences hedge fund in connection with purchasing warrants alongside a senior secured loan to a cancer treatment development company
- Represented a New York hedge fund in connection with purchasing warrants alongside a $37.5 million senior secured term loan to a coal mining company
- Represented a North Carolina-based medical devices company in connection with the issuance of convertible notes
- Represented a life sciences company in connection with the structuring of a $40 million loan, with an additional accordion facility of up to $20 million and associated warrants, involving a European-headquartered investment firm
- Banking and Financial Services
- Corporate Counseling
- Distressed Investing
- General Corporate
- Joint Venture and Early-Stage Investing
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Private Equity M&A
- Private Funds: Investor Representation
- Restructuring and Bankruptcy
- Secondary Market Transactions
- Senior Lending
- Special Situation Lending
- Special Situations and Restructuring
Supreme Court of Victoria and High Court of Australia
Monash University, Melbourne, Australia, LL.B., summa cum laude, 2003
Monash University, Melbourne, Australia, B.A. summa cum laude, 1999
- Debt Facility for Biopharmaceutical Company
Chapman served as counsel to a health care and life sciences hedge fund in a $10 million debt facility for a biopharmaceutical company. The debt facility will be used to repay an existing debt facility and support the company's build out of its manufacturing facility.
- Term Loan for a Molecular Diagnostics Company
Chapman served as counsel to a life sciences hedge fund in connection with a $15 million term loan facility for a molecular diagnostics company. The term loan facility includes an initial $15 million tranche and a second $10 million tranche that is available at the company’s option over the next year.
- Acquisition of Health Care Leases and Loans
Chapman served as counsel to a commercial bank in its $1.5 billion acquisition of a portfolio of health care equipment leases and loans involving 1,100 hospitals and 3,600 physician practices and diagnostic and imaging centers across the US. The transaction includes a five-year vendor finance program agreement.
- Acquisition and Financing of Delaware Park Casino and Racetrack
Chapman served as lead counsel to Clairvest Group Inc., Clairvest Equity Partners VI, and Rubico Gaming LLC in the acquisition and financing of the Delaware Park casino and racetrack in Wilmington, Delaware.
- Health Bus Financing
Chapman served as counsel to the Wilson Sheehan Foundation in an agreement with the Rocking Horse Children's Health Center and Second Harvest Food Bank to finance the Health Bus, a state-of-the-art mobile clinic serving Springfield, Ohio, and surrounding areas.
- Data-Driven Diagnostics Company Loan Facility
Counsel to Perceptive Advisors, a life sciences-focused hedge fund, in a term loan facility for a data-driven diagnostics solutions company focused on lung disease.
- Co-Author, "For Lenders – Navigating Main Street Loan Considerations," Client Alert. July 7, 2020
- Co-Author, "Convertible Preferred Stock: How Preferred Is It? (Part Two)," The Hedge Fund Law Report. January 9, 2014
- Co-Author, "Convertible Preferred Stock: How Preferred Is It? (Part One)," The Hedge Fund Law Report. December 19, 2013
- Co-Author, "From Lender to Shareholder: How to Make Your Equity Work Harder for You," The Hedge Fund Law Report. May 21, 2010
- Presenter: Warrants 101, May 2017
- Co-Presenter: Representations and Warranties Insurance in Middle Market Private Equity Transactions: A Lender’s Perspective, April 2017