Cathy Rossouw is a partner in Chapman's Bankruptcy and Restructuring Group and a member of the Banking and Financial Services Department.
Cathy represents hedge funds, private equity funds, alternative lenders, banks, and other financial institutions in connection with a variety of corporate transactions. She works with buyers and sellers in private equity investments, mergers and acquisitions, venture capital investments, inter-company restructurings and leveraged buy-outs. Cathy also represents buyers and sellers in secondary market equity transactions.
In addition to private equity and M&A transactions, Cathy works closely with her colleagues in the Bankruptcy and Restructuring Group in connection with event driven and special situation investments, and with the Commercial Lending Group to advise both lenders and borrowers on the equity features of financing transactions, including warrants and convertible notes.
Private Equity and Hedge Funds
- Represented Perceptive Advisors, a life sciences-focused hedge fund, in a $20 million senior debt facility for a biotechnology company pioneering a new class of small-molecule drugs that selectively destroy disease-causing proteins via degredation
- Represented the major equity sponsor in connection with the sale of equity in the holding company of two “racinos” in Indiana
- Represented a Connecticut-based private equity fund in the restructuring of the debt, and eventual sale, of stock of a portfolio company
- Represented a commercial finance company based in Toronto in connection with a series of transactions to sell rail assets
- Represented a New York private equity sponsor in the purchase of a precision injection molding company with operations in the US, UK and China
- Represented a Connecticut-based private investment company in connection with early stage investments in several consumer-brand companies, including ongoing portfolio company representation
- Represented a private equity sponsor in the purchase of distressed bank loans and the related equity foreclosure action to become the owner of a Pennsylvania-based logistics company
- Represented a Canadian private equity sponsor in the purchase of a major equity interest in a US based gaming company
- Represented a New York hedge fund in connection with the sale of a Mexico-based manufacturing company
- Represented a Texas private equity firm in connection with a bid to purchase a chemical manufacturer in a Section 363 auction
- Represented a New York-based alternative lender in connection with equity tag-along opportunities
- Represented a life sciences hedge fund in connection with purchasing warrants alongside a senior secured loan to a cancer treatment development company
- Represented a New York hedge fund in connection with purchasing warrants alongside a $37.5 million senior secured term loan to a coal mining company
- Represented a North Carolina-based medical devices company in connection with the issuance of convertible notes
- Represented a life sciences company in connection with the structuring of a $40 million loan, with an additional accordion facility of up to $20 million and associated warrants, involving a European-headquartered investment firm
Supreme Court of Victoria and High Court of Australia
Monash University, Melbourne, Australia, LL.B., summa cum laude, 2003
Monash University, Melbourne, Australia, B.A. summa cum laude, 1999
- Acquisition of Health Care Leases and Loans
Chapman served as counsel to a commercial bank in its $1.5 billion acquisition of a portfolio of health care equipment leases and loans involving 1,100 hospitals and 3,600 physician practices and diagnostic and imaging centers across the US. The transaction includes a five-year vendor finance program agreement.
- Co-Author, "For Lenders – Navigating Main Street Loan Considerations," Client Alert. July 7, 2020
- Co-Author, "Convertible Preferred Stock: How Preferred Is It? (Part Two)," The Hedge Fund Law Report. January 9, 2014
- Co-Author, "Convertible Preferred Stock: How Preferred Is It? (Part One)," The Hedge Fund Law Report. December 19, 2013
- Co-Author, "From Lender to Shareholder: How to Make Your Equity Work Harder for You," The Hedge Fund Law Report. May 21, 2010
- Presenter: Warrants 101, May 2017
- Co-Presenter: Representations and Warranties Insurance in Middle Market Private Equity Transactions: A Lender’s Perspective, April 2017