Hillary Phelps is a partner and member of Chapman's National Public Finance Department. She serves as bond counsel, disclosure counsel, and underwriter’s counsel for a wide variety of tax-exempt and taxable financings throughout the country, focusing primarily on higher education, municipal, and not-for-profit transactions. Additionally, Hillary advises clients with respect to various municipal securities issues, including post-issuance compliance and related regulatory matters.
Hillary’s career started at Chapman. Prior to rejoining the firm, she served from 2015 to 2019 as senior counsel in the Office of Municipal Securities at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), which is responsible for administering SEC rules on the practices of broker-dealers, municipal advisors, investors, and issuers in the municipal securities area, focusing on rulemaking, legislation, and policy formulation. While at the SEC, Hillary was instrumental in advancing a number of SEC municipal disclosure initiatives, including proposing and finalizing amendments to Rule 15c2-12 and coordinating the inaugural SEC conference on municipal disclosure.
In addition to her experience at the SEC, Hillary previously served on the Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board’s (MSRB) Market Transparency Advisory Group, which advised the MSRB Board of Directors on strategic initiatives to modernize and enhance the EMMA website and related systems in support of market transparency.
National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Chair, The Institute, 2023
- Vice Chair, The Institute, 2022
Honors & Awards
Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2009
Colgate University, B.A., Political Science and Economics, cum laude, 2003
- Illinois’s First C-PACE Financing
Chapman served as special counsel to an Illinois county in the state’s first transaction under a C-PACE financing program.
- Historic Theater Renovation
Chapman served as bond counsel for the C-PACE financing of a historic theater rehabilitation in Chicago.
- Hydroponic Farm Financing
Chapman served as bond counsel on the C-PACE financing of a hydroponic vertical farm facility. Once completed, the project will be among the nation’s largest indoor vertical farms.
- Green Housing Development
Chapman served as bond counsel for a C-PACE financing of water and energy efficiency measures for a new multifamily housing development.
- The Bond Buyer 2022 Small Issuer Financing Deal of the Year
Underwriter's counsel in a first-of-its-kind limited public offering for commercial and residential broadband expansion in Montana.
- Panelist, “Electronic Disclosure,” National Association of Bond Lawyers Tax and Securities Law Institute, March 3-5, 2021
- Presenter, "SEC Enforcement and the Importance of Disclosure," Illinois Association of School Business Officials Debt A-Z Academy, November 22, 2019
- Presenter, "Municipal Market Discussion," NextGen MuniFinance NYC, October 22, 2019
- Panelist, "Rising Stars Tell It All: How the Next Generation Will Shape the Municipal Disclosure and Business Environment," The Bond Buyer's California Public Finance Conference, September 23 – 25, 2019