James Borrasso is an associate in Chapman's Corporate and Securities Department and a member of the firm's Investment Management Group. His practice is focused on the formation and operation of unit investment trusts, open-end funds, exchange-traded funds (ETFs), closed-end funds, hedge funds, and private equity funds. James also advises broker-dealers, investment advisers, and municipal advisors on a variety of compliance and risk management matters. His experience also includes advising clients on general corporate matters.
James participated in Chapman's summer associate program in 2017 and joined the firm in 2018. Prior to law school, James worked in operations for an investment management firm.
Honors & Awards
- Rickert Award for Excellence in Academic Achievement
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award: Business Associations, Corporate Taxation, Secured Transactions, and Advanced Legal Research: Corporate
- J. Nelson Young Award Recipient
University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2018
- Order of the Coif
- Admissions Editor, University of Illinois Law Review
Grinnell College, B.A., 2012
- Co-Author, "SEC Proposes Amendments to Beneficial Ownership Reporting Requirements," Client Alert, March 21, 2022.
- Co-Author, "Delaware Supreme Court Reverses Chancery Court Holding and Upholds Strict Compliance with Advance-Notice Bylaw Provisions," Client Alert, February 18, 2020
- Co-Author, "SEC Proposes New Rules to Update Statistical Disclosures for Banking Registrants," The Banking Law Journal, January 2020
- Co-Author, "SEC Proposes Modernized Rules for the Use of Derivatives by Registered Investment Companies," Client Alert, November 27, 2019
- Author, "Opening the Floodgates: Providing Liquidity to the Charitable Marketplace Through Changes to Donor-Advised Funds," University of Illinois Law Review, 2018
- Presenter “SEC Approves the ‘ETF Rule’,” Chicago Bar Association, Investment Management Subcommittee Meeting, October 29, 2019.
- Presenter “SEC Proposes Rule 163B Expanding ‘Testing-the-Waters’ Communications,” Chicago Bar Association, Investment Management Subcommittee Meeting, April 30, 2019.
- Presenter “SEC Issues Order and Sanctions Adviser for Improper Cross Trade Pricing Practices,” Chicago Bar Association, Investment Management Subcommittee Meeting, October 30, 2018.