Supporting the well-being of our people is a priority.
Chapman supports the health and well-being of our legal and professional staff team members through a comprehensive approach to wellness that focuses on resources for physical, mental, and financial health. Our affirming policies and access to outside services and experts are the core of our wellness programs. We offer confidential access to work/life balance coaching, mental health services, online health and wellness information and fitness activities. We also support health and well-being by bringing in outside experts for wellness events and awareness presentations, promoting firmwide health and wellness activities, and providing access to seasonal immunizations in-office and at local providers. Chapman’s wellness resources include a library of materials available in person or online in addition to specific internal training programs.
Chapman’s Wellness Partner oversees the firm’s wellness initiatives, and Chapman Talent Development team members, senior administrative staff and office managers are trained mental health first responders.
- Learn More. Live Well. We value the health and well-being of our Chapman community. Our in-house “Learn More. Live Well.” presentation series brings in a variety of outside experts to help everyone at Chapman access healthy lifestyle resources and learn about topics such as improving nutrition, sleep hygiene, relaxation methods, and exercise. We host monthly opportunities to engage in yoga, Tai Chi, mindfulness and meditation, and stress resilience sessions.
- ABA Well-Being Pledge. Signing on to the American Bar Association’s Well-Being Pledge publicly demonstrates our ongoing commitment to wellness and to breaking down the barriers to seeking mental health resources and treatment. Using the pledge as a guide, we promote a healthy work environment by offering health-conscious snacks, on-site wellness rooms, on-site health screenings, paid sick leave, and ergonomic assistance for workstations. Chapman also collaborates with the Lawyers’ Assistance Program (LAP) in Illinois, hosting annual training for all lawyers on managing stress and recognizing signs of addiction and mental distress.
- Employee Assistance. Chapman’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides free, confidential, 24/7 access to in-person or video counseling for Chapman attorneys, professional staff, and family members. A wealth of resources are also available online through the EAP, with information and assistance available for everything from anxiety to cancer to buying your first home. Additionally, the firm’s health insurance offerings include coverage for mental health treatment and addiction rehabilitation.
- Mentoring and Leadership Initiatives. Chapman’s internal mentoring programs and professional development curriculums include mandatory well-being sessions and discussions.
- Client Engagement. Chapman organizes an annual CLE Marathon for clients and Chapman attorneys that includes a session devoted to mental health and well-being to help keep ourselves and our clients up-to-date on the latest information and best practices.
- Work/Life Balance Coaching. Chapman offers one-on-one coaching sessions for all attorneys to help them maintain balance while managing and building their practices. We offer one-on-one coaching to expecting parents as well as back-up childcare and adult care services to help reduce the stresses of our team members caring for young children and aging parents. Chapman also hosts financial wellness programs designed to provide helpful information on a wide range of topics, including saving for retirement and managing student loans.