Kristin has extensive experience in environmental, health and safety matters. She is well-versed in assessing and negotiating environmental liabilities and represents lenders, bidders, developers, targets, and investors with the environmental aspects of a wide variety of transactions, including project finance, real estate development (including brownfields redevelopment), divestitures, mergers, and acquisitions.
Kristin also advises companies on Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG), corporate sustainability, and climate change issues and regarding environmental disclosures under US securities laws. She has provided guidance on the development and implementation of ESG policies, on transactions involving significant ESG issues, and in connection with sustainability reporting. Kristin has worked with clients involved in the development, purchase, sale, and financing of a variety of renewable energy projects, including wind, solar and hydroelectric facilities.
In addition to the above, Kristin works with manufacturing, agricultural, and other industrial and commercial clients in connection with air and water permitting, regulatory and legislative development, environmental audit programs, hazardous waste remediation, and insurance matters. She regularly advises clients in connection with environmental compliance issues and represents them in investigations and enforcement proceedings before state and federal agencies, including with respect to issues involving the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act, and the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act.
Kristin represents clients across a variety of sectors in connection with occupational safety and health inspections, employee complaints and citations. Kristin has guided clients through the COVID crisis, in OSHA mediation proceedings, and in contested cases before state and federal review boards, including a case where OSHA ultimately revoked its decision to enter the client into its Severe Violator Enforcement Program.
- Co-Author, "ESG Investing to Continue Growth in 2021 under Biden Administration," Chapman Insights, March 2, 2021
- Co-Author, "Illinois' Future Energy Jobs Act," Energy Law Report, 2017
- Co-Author, "Illinois' Future Energy Jobs Act," LexisNexis Emerging Issues Analysis, 2017
- Co-Author, "Brownfields Revitalization—A Misnomer," Real Estate Investment Journal, 2004
- Banking and Financial Services
- Commercial Lending
- Environment, Energy and Resources
- Environmental Advice and Litigation
- Environmental and Permitting
- Project Acquisition
- Project Development
- Project Finance
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Renewable Energy
- Renewable Energy Finance
- Social Finance and Impact Investing
- Utility Finance
Northwestern University, J.D., cum laude
The Ohio State University, B.A., Communications/CAPITAL Program in International Business, summa cum laude
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Environmental Law Institute