- Asset Securitization
- Asset-Backed Securities
- Banking and Financial Services
- Capital Call Transactions
- Chapman Practice Innovations
- Collateralized Loan Obligations and Collateralized Debt Obligations
- Commercial Loans
- Commercial Paper and Bank-Financed Transactions
- Credit and Liquidity Enhancement of Securities
- Equipment Finance Receivables
- Fintech and Marketplace Lending
- Industry Advocacy and Regulatory Counsel
- Motor Vehicle Loans, Leases, and Floorplan Receivables
- Public Finance
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Structured Settlements
- Student Loans and Education Finance
- Trade Receivables
- Transportation Assets
DePaul University College of Law, J.D., with honors, 1985
- DePaul Law Review
Michigan State University, B.A., Public Policy, with honors, 1981
Structured Finance Association
- Board Member
- Co-Chair of ABCP Committee
Institute of International Bankers
Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association
American Bar Foundation
Cameron Kravitt Foundation
- Board Member
Gilda's Club Chicago
- Board Chair
Tim Mohan is the Chief Executive Partner of Chapman and Cutler LLP and is a partner in the Firm’s Banking and Financial Services Department and Asset Securitization Department.
Tim’s experience includes work in the banking, asset securitization and public finance areas. He has extensive experience in asset-backed commercial paper transactions, bank-financed securitization transactions, and financings involving municipal securities.
Tim regularly advises bank sponsors of commercial paper conduits on the structural, legal and regulatory issues affecting the set up and operation of these vehicles. He is a frequent speaker on the topics of asset-backed commercial paper, the securitization aspects of the risk-based capital and liquidity rules, and related bank regulatory issues.
Tim has worked on securitization transactions involving diverse asset classes including trade, credit card and auto loan and lease receivables, film distribution rights, aircraft leases, equipment leases, healthcare receivables, student loans, structured settlements and commercial loans.
Tim’s experience includes transactions involving Canadian, European and Asian asset sellers. He has also worked on credit enhancement transactions involving traditional municipal issuers, healthcare and educational institutions, student loan issuers and industrial companies.
Tim also has experience in traditional secured and unsecured bank lending and has acted as bond counsel and counsel to the underwriter and purchaser in transactions involving the issuance of tax-exempt bonds.
- Counsel to trade organizations in Dodd-Frank rulemaking advocacy relating to asset-backed commercial paper conduits, Volcker Rule, risk-based capital requirements, liquidity coverage ratio, net stable funding ratio, FDIC assessments, and large obligor exposures
- Counsel to the program manager of the $60 billion federal government-sponsored student loan conduit
- US counsel to the bank sponsor in the acquisition of over $20 billion of ABCP securitization transactions
- Co-Author, "Federal Banking Regulators Propose New Bank Holding Company Category System to Apply to Capital and Liquidity Requirements and to Enhanced Prudential Standards," The Banking Law Journal. March 2019.
- Co-Author, "Basel Committee Proposes Simple, Transparent and Comparable Securitization Framework for Short-Term Securitizations," Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law. October 2017.
- Co-Author, "Desk Reference: Post-Financial Crisis Statutory and Regulatory Initiatives Affecting ABCP Conduits," Chapman and Cutler LLP. August 2017.
- Co-Author, "First Treasury Report on Financial Reform — Possible Securitization Impacts," Client Alert. June 14, 2017.
- Co-Author, "Financial CHOICE Act 2.0 'Discussion Draft' Released by House Financial Services Committee," Client Alert. May 2, 2017.
- Co-Author, "Financial CHOICE Act (H.R. 5983) as Guide to Possible Financial Regulatory Reform, Including 'Dodd-Frank Repeal,'" Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law. February/March 2017.
- Co-Author, "The Federal Reserve Issues Final Rule Including Certain Municipal Obligations as HQLA," Real Estate Finance Journal. Spring/Summer 2016.
- Author, "Potential Impact of Proposed Federal Reserve Single Counterparty Credit Limits on Securitizations," Client Alert. April 22, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Desk Reference: Post-Financial Crisis Statutory and Regulatory Initiatives Affecting ABCP Conduits," Chapman and Cutler LLP. November 2015.
- Co-Author, "Liquidity Coverage Ratio Requirement Increases Cost of Securitization for U.S. Banks," The Journal of Structured Finance. Winter 2015.
- Co-Author, "SFIG Regulatory Briefing Book: Liquidity Coverage Ratio Final Rules," Structured Finance Industry Group. October 2014.
- Co-Author, "New Regulation YY Intermediate Holding Company Requirement and Enhanced Prudential Standards for Large Foreign Banking Operations in the U.S.," Client Alert. May 8, 2014.
- Co-Author, "ABCP 2.0: Short Term Structured Financing in the New Regulatory Environment," The Banking Law Journal. May 2013.
- Co-Author, "Basel 2.5 and Basel III: The Impact of the New Capital (and Liquidity) Rules on Securitization," The Journal of Structured Finance. Winter 2013.
- Co-Author, “Basel III and Regulatory Capital and Liquidity Requirements for Securitizations,” The Journal of Structured Finance. Winter 2012.
- Co-Author, “A Challenge for the Future: Issuing ABCP in the New Regulatory Environment,” The Journal of Structured Finance. Spring 2011.
- Co-Author, “Securitizations of Bank Assets: Impact of Bank Insolvencies and Related Issues,” The Journal of Bankruptcy Law. November 2009.
- "The Law Firm of the Future: Successfully Managing the Modern Practice," SFIG Vegas Conference. February 2019.
- "The Legislative and Regulatory Path to Liquidity and Capital Reform: Practical Considerations," SFIG Vegas Conference. February 2018.
- "ABCP 101 and Regulatory Update," ABS Vegas Conference. March 2016.
- "Legal and Regulatory Developments in 2014 and Impact on the SCF Market," Subscription Credit Facility and Fund Finance Symposium. March 2015.
- "Implications for Bank Liquidity Under the LCR and NSFR Rulings," ABS Vegas Conference. February 2015.
- "The Future of Conduit Finance," ABS East Conference. September 2014.
- "Significant Regulatory Issues Affecting ABCP," Citi Short-Term Investor Workshop. May 2014.
- "Capital and Liquidity Regulatory Developments," American Securitization Forum Conference. January 2013.
- "Risk-based Capital Basics" and “The Volcker Rule and Conflicts of Interest,” American Securitization Forum Conference. January 2012.
- "Basel 2.5 and Basel III: The Impact of the New Capital (and Liquidity) Rules on Securitization," ABS East Conference. October 2012.
- “Regulatory Capital and Liquidity Requirements for Securitizations: Current Issues,” ABS East Conference. October 2011.
- Instructor, “Asset-backed Commercial Paper,” American Securitization Forum Advanced Securitization Institute. October 2011.
- “Risk Retention for ABCP Conduit Sponsors,” American Securitization Forum Annual Meeting. June 2011.
- “ABCP Regulatory Issues,” Goldman Sachs Maturity Extension Conference. April 2011.
- “Basel II Basics” and “Dodd-Frank Rulemaking,” American Securitization Forum Conference. February 2011.
- “Alternative Funding Structures for Conduit Customer Assets,” iiBIG Commercial Paper Executive Summit. September 2010.
- “Off Balance Sheet Accounting Changes: FAS 166 and 167,” Joint presentation with Ernst & Young, LP. July 2009.