Philip Edison is a partner in the firm’s Corporate Finance Department and is also a member of the firm's Real Estate Group. Philip focuses his practice on representing insurance companies, real estate debt funds, banks and other institutional investors in a wide variety of real estate finance transactions, including credit tenant loans, ground lease financing, bridge loans, senior/subordinated financing, and mezzanine loans.
Philip also represents property owners, real estate investors and tenants in acquisition and disposition, easements, and leasing.
- Represented institutional investors in simultaneous twin, multiple tranche transactions for the refinance of two US Government leased office buildings in the Washington, DC area.
- Represented insurance company investors in numerous ground lease finance transactions.
- Represented private debt fund in construction and mini-permanent loan for construction of resort hotel in Napa, California.
- Represented private debt fund in numerous mezzanine loans.
- Represented institutional investors in the finance of an expansion of a hospital and medical office facility in Texas.
- Negotiated a $131 million credit tenant loan financing to fund the construction and development for a built-to-suit headquarters office building for the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
- Real estate counsel for lender in $125 million acquisition of 22 medical office buildings in the southeast.
- Lead outside real estate counsel for a national railroad in the land acquisition and development of a $400 million intermodal facility located on 780 acres in suburban Chicago. The transaction included all due diligence, sophisticated title and survey work, negotiating easements and crossing agreements with multiple pipeline companies for more than 20 pipeline crossings, monitoring annexation, rezoning, and vacation of public streets, negotiation of an easement across US Government property and negotiating a private road agreement between the railroad and an adjacent business park.
- Counsel for the sole investor in $150 million of senior notes as part of a $210 million financing in which the senior notes were secured by first mortgages on 110 drill sites in the Fort Worth, Texas area, as well as by an assignment of a drill-site lease to a wholly owned subsidiary of an energy company.
- Real estate counsel for numerous tenants in office space leases including in financial services, not-for-profits, municipal agencies, and technology.
- Represented multiple lenders in real estate work-outs and in the sale of OREO properties.
Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., 1996
Ohio University, B.S.S., cum laude, 1993