The University of Iowa College of Law, J.D. 2014
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Transnational Law and Contemporary Problems
Illinois Wesleyan University, B.A., Political Science and Philosophy, magna cum laude, 2010
- Chicago Committee on Minorities in Large Law Firms LegalTrek Scholar
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
Iranian-American Bar Association
Sara Ghadiri is an associate in Chapman’s Banking and Financial Services Department and Litigation Group.
Sara concentrates her practice on the representation of financial institutions in commercial foreclosure, bankruptcy, and employment law matters, and frequently represents financial institutions, corporations, and individuals in federal and state courts. Sara's experience also includes assisting clients in litigation, arbitration, settlement, and compliance with federal and state laws, including the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, and the Fair Labor Standards Act, among others.
In addition, Sara has trial experience in both state and federal court, and is a member of the Trial Bar of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. Sara was recently part of a team that successfully defended against a $1.2 million damages claim in a highly technical jury trial.
While in law school, Sara worked as a student legal intern with the University of Iowa Clinical Law Program, where she worked in the domestic violence, immigration, general civil, and family representation practices. She served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Deborah Farmer Minot of the Sixth Judicial District Court of Iowa. Sara was also selected to take part in the ABA Judicial Intern Opportunity Program, where she interned for the Honorable Ruben Castillo of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. Sara was also a Paul Simon Research Fellow for the Illinois Campaign for Political Reform.
As part of her pro bono work, Sara volunteers with the Legal Assistance Foundation’s Orders of Protection Litigation Project to assist survivors of domestic violence in getting no-contact and stay-away orders.
Sara is also the Assistant Director of LegalTrek, which is a collaboration between the Chicago Committee for Minorities in Large Law Firms and DePaul University College of Law. LegalTrek’s mission is to diversify the legal profession by encouraging and supporting college students from historically underrepresented racial/ethnic minority groups, as well as socioeconomically disadvantaged students, LGBT students and disabled students, to attend law school.
She participated in the firm's summer associate program in 2013 and joined the firm in 2014.
- Co-Author, "Foreclosure Condo Purchasers Beware: Suit Not Required Before Past-Due Condo Association Assessments Must Be Paid," Client Alert. June 20, 2018.
- Co-Author, "Discovery Rule Does Not Apply to FDCPA Statute of Limitations," Client Alert. May 24, 2018.
- Co-Author, "Third Circuit Confirms Limits of the Rooker-Feldman Doctrine," Law360. January 22, 2018.
- Co-Author, "Momentive vs EFIH: Second Circuit Splits with Third Circuit on Make-Whole; Keeps Pressure on Lenders to Negotiate Express Make-Whole Provisions," Client Alert. October 30, 2017.
- Co-Author, "On Second Thought: EFH Court's Extraordinary Move," Law360. October 18, 2017.
- Co-Author, "In Delaware, the Gift Plan Is Not Dead Yet," Law360. August 25, 2017.
- Co-Author, "Revocation Rulings Continue to Cloud TCPA Compliance," Client Alert. August 17, 2017.
- Co-Author, "The CFPB's Final Arbitration Rule: A Deadly Blow to the Class Action Waiver," Client Alert. July 12, 2017.
- Co-Author, "Supreme Court Unanimously Holds That Debt Purchasers Are Not Debt Collectors in Justice Gorsuch’s Landmark First Opinion," Client Alert. June 13, 2017.
- Co-Author, "Victory for Debt Collectors in First of Two Landmark Supreme Court Cases," Client Alert. May 19, 2017.
- Co-Author, "TCPA Update 2017: The First Quarter in Review," Client Alert. April 17, 2017.
- Co-Author, "New FCC Chairman May Change Tack on TCPA," Client Alert. January 24, 2017.
- Co-Author, "Injunction Halts New Overtime Rule from Going into Effect," Client Alert. November 28, 2016.
- Co-Author, "D.C. Circuit Hears Challenge to FCC's Interpretation of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act," Client Alert. October 20, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Adverse CFPB Ruling By D.C. Circuit," Client Alert. October 19, 2016.
- Co-Author, "States Seek to Block New DOL Overtime Rule," Client Alert. September 22, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Department of Labor Issues Final Overtime Rule — What to Know Right Now," Client Alert. May 18, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Be Prepared: New Department of Labor Overtime Rules Move Toward Finalization," Client Alert. March 23, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Hidden Mortgagor-Tenants in Ill. Commercial Properties," Law360. November 16, 2015.
- Co-Author, "Judgment Creditors: How Building a Strong Record During Citation Proceedings Can Pay Dividends in Bankruptcy," Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law. September 2015.
- Co-Author, "Impacting Millions and Costing Billions: New Proposed “White Collar” Overtime Rules Announced," Client Alert. July 21, 2015.
Honors & Awards
- Chapman and Cutler LLP's Pro Bono and Volunteer Achievement Award, 2017
- Boyd Service Award, 2014
- Antonia "DJ" Miller Award for Advancement of Human Rights, 2014
- Michelle R. Bennett Client Representation Award, 2014
- Dean's Award for Legal Analysis, Writing, and Research II, 2012