Sara Ghadiri is an associate Chapman’s Banking and Financial Services Department and Litigation Group. She also serves as the firm's Pro Bono Counsel. Sara participated in Chapman's summer associate program in 2013 and joined the firm in 2014.
Sara concentrates her practice on the representation of financial institutions in consumer finance, trusts and estates, bank defense, contracts, employment, bankruptcy, and other types of litigation, and frequently represents financial institutions, corporations, and individuals in federal and state courts. Sara's experience includes assisting clients in litigation, arbitration, mediation, and settlement. In addition, Sara has trial experience in both state and federal court. Sara was recently part of a team that successfully defended against a $1.2 million damages claim in a highly technical jury trial.
Sara also advises clients on consumer and institutional regulatory compliance matters related to CFPB, OCC, FDIC, and Federal Reserve regulations. Among other regulations and statutes, Sara provides consumer protection advice with respect to:
- Equal Credit Opportunity Act
- Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- Truth in Lending Act
- Unfair, Deceptive, or Abusive Acts or Practices (UDAAP)
- Various state consumer fraud and anti-predatory lending laws
As part of her work as the firm’s Pro Bono Counsel, Sara volunteers with several legal aid organizations that provide legal aid to low-income individuals throughout the Chicago area. Sara has worked on matters related to family law, immigration, pro se advice, small businesses, copyright, adoption, guardianship, orders of protection, legislation, impact litigation, wills and advanced directives, and others in both state and federal court. Sara also helps coordinate pro bono efforts throughout the firm and in cooperation with firm clients.
In addition, Sara is the Assistant Director of LegalTrek, which is a collaboration between the Chicago Committee for Minorities in Large Law Firms and DePaul University College of Law. LegalTrek’s mission is to diversify the legal profession by encouraging and supporting college students from historically underrepresented racial/ethnic minority groups, as well as socioeconomically disadvantaged students, LGBT students, and disabled students, to attend law school.
While in law school, Sara worked as a student legal intern with the University of Iowa Clinical Law Program, where she worked in the domestic violence, immigration, general civil, and family representation practices.
- Co-Author, "The Impact of COVID-19 on Pending and Newly Scheduled Court Hearings," Client Alert. March 19, 2020.
- Co-Author, "The New Illinois Trust Code: What It Means for Trustees and Trustmakers, Part V," Client Alert. February 3, 2020.
- Co-Author, "The New Illinois Trust Code: What It Means for Trustees and Trustmakers, Part IV," Client Alert. December 2, 2019.
- Co-Author, "The New Illinois Trust Code: What It Means for Trustees and Trustmakers, Part III," Client Alert. October 1, 2019.
- Co-Author, "The New Illinois Trust Code: What It Means for Trustees and Trustmakers, Part II," Client Alert. August 19, 2019.
- Co-Author, "The New Illinois Trust Code: What It Means for Trustees and Trustmakers," Client Alert. July 15, 2019.
- Co-Author, “Obtaining Assistance from the Court,” IICLE Trust Administration Handbook. March 2019.
- Co-Author, "Foreclosure Condo Purchasers Beware: Suit Not Required Before Past-Due Condo Association Assessments Must Be Paid," Client Alert. June 20, 2018.
- Co-Author, "Discovery Rule Does Not Apply to FDCPA Statute of Limitations," Client Alert. May 24, 2018.
- Co-Author, "Third Circuit Confirms Limits of the Rooker-Feldman Doctrine," Law360. January 22, 2018.
- Co-Author, "Momentive vs EFIH: Second Circuit Splits with Third Circuit on Make-Whole; Keeps Pressure on Lenders to Negotiate Express Make-Whole Provisions," Client Alert. October 30, 2017.
- Co-Author, "On Second Thought: EFH Court's Extraordinary Move," Law360. October 18, 2017.
- Co-Author, "In Delaware, the Gift Plan Is Not Dead Yet," Law360. August 25, 2017.
- Co-Author, "Revocation Rulings Continue to Cloud TCPA Compliance," Client Alert. August 17, 2017.
- Co-Author, "The CFPB's Final Arbitration Rule: A Deadly Blow to the Class Action Waiver," Client Alert. July 12, 2017.
- Co-Author, "Supreme Court Unanimously Holds That Debt Purchasers Are Not Debt Collectors in Justice Gorsuch’s Landmark First Opinion," Client Alert. June 13, 2017.
- Co-Author, "Victory for Debt Collectors in First of Two Landmark Supreme Court Cases," Client Alert. May 19, 2017.
- Co-Author, "TCPA Update 2017: The First Quarter in Review," Client Alert. April 17, 2017.
- Co-Author, "New FCC Chairman May Change Tack on TCPA," Client Alert. January 24, 2017.
- Co-Author, "Injunction Halts New Overtime Rule from Going into Effect," Client Alert. November 28, 2016.
- Co-Author, "D.C. Circuit Hears Challenge to FCC's Interpretation of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act," Client Alert. October 20, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Adverse CFPB Ruling By D.C. Circuit," Client Alert. October 19, 2016.
- Co-Author, "States Seek to Block New DOL Overtime Rule," Client Alert. September 22, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Department of Labor Issues Final Overtime Rule — What to Know Right Now," Client Alert. May 18, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Be Prepared: New Department of Labor Overtime Rules Move Toward Finalization," Client Alert. March 23, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Hidden Mortgagor-Tenants in Ill. Commercial Properties," Law360. November 16, 2015.
- Co-Author, "Judgment Creditors: How Building a Strong Record During Citation Proceedings Can Pay Dividends in Bankruptcy," Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law. September 2015.
- Co-Author, "Impacting Millions and Costing Billions: New Proposed “White Collar” Overtime Rules Announced," Client Alert. July 21, 2015.
Honors & Awards
- Illinois Wesleyan University’s 2020 Robert M. Montgomery Outstanding Young Alumni Award
- American Bar Association Free Legal Answers Pro Bono Leader, 2018 and 2019
- National Immigrant Justice Center's Rising Star Award, 2019
- Illinois Jaycees's The Outstanding Young Persons of Illinois, 2019
- LAF (currently Legal Aid Chicago) Order of Protection Litigation Project's Volunteer of the Year, 2018
- Chapman and Cutler LLP's Pro Bono and Volunteer Achievement Award, 2017
- Boyd Service Award, 2014
- Antonia "DJ" Miller Award for Advancement of Human Rights, 2014
- Michelle R. Bennett Client Representation Award, 2014
- Dean's Award for Legal Analysis, Writing, and Research II, 2012
- November 2, 2020
- October 2020
- July 2020
- March 25, 2020
- March 2020
- May 2019
- January 29, 2019
- January 2, 2019
- Bank Defense
- Bank Regulatory Matters
- Banking and Financial Services
- Bankruptcy, Restructuring and Workouts
- Claims and Recovery Litigation
- Commercial Foreclosure and Real Estate Litigation
- Commercial Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Consumer Credit Transactions
- Consumer Finance Litigation
- Consumer Financial Services
- Debt Collection Practices
- Employment Law
- Fiduciary Litigation
- General Compliance Activities
- Privacy and Fair Credit Reporting
- Trusts and Estates
The University of Iowa College of Law, J.D. 2014
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Transnational Law and Contemporary Problems
- American Bar Association Judicial Intern Opportunity Program Intern to the Honorable Judge Ruben Castillo
Illinois Wesleyan University, B.A., Political Science and Philosophy, magna cum laude, 2010
- Chicago Committee on Minorities in Large Law Firms LegalTrek Scholar
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
Chicago School of Violin Making
- Board of Directors
Iranian-American Bar Association