Yeshiva University's Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, J.D., 1991
- Notes & Comments Editor, International Law Journal / New Europe Law Review
City University of New York, Bernard M. Baruch School of Business, M.B.A., Finance, 1988
- Baruch Fellow
Brooklyn College, B.A., Economics, 1985
Joel Laub is a partner in Chapman and Cutler's National Public and Health & Education Finance Department.
Joel concentrates his practice in over-the-counter and exchange-traded derivatives, including all types of related financing and investment transactions. He has a wide range of experience drafting and negotiating various transactions, including credit default, equity, and commodity derivatives, synthetic investments, repurchase and securities lending agreements, guaranteed investment contracts; and custody, clearing, and prime brokerage arrangements. He has also advised numerous clients on the implications of Title VII of the Dodd-Frank Act in relation to derivatives businesses. He has extensive experience representing banks, broker-dealers, investment funds, insurance companies, municipalities, and end-user entities.
Joel has been a frequent lecturer on derivatives and an industry participant through initiatives with the International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA) and the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA).
Prior to joining Chapman in 2014, Joel practiced law at Jones Day.
Joel's prior experience includes the representation of clients in the following matters:
- Counsel to issuer in $130.6 million public offering of Common Shares in forward sale
- Counsel to issuer in $245.7 million public offering of Common Shares in forward sale
- Counsel to issuer in $470 million public offering of Common Shares in forward sale
- Counsel to issuer in $400 million repurchase of Common Stock in accelerated share repurchase program
- Counsel to issuer in $175 million private placement of cash convertible senior notes hedge
- Counsel to issuer in $900 million convertible senior notes Rule 144A offering hedge
- Counsel to issuer in $1 billion senior convertible notes public offering hedge
- Counsel to issuer in $250 million Rule 144A offering of senior cash convertible debentures hedge
- Contributor, "Defaulted Securities: The Guide for Trustees and Bondholders," Chapman and Cutler LLP, 2018.
- Author, "Bank Regulators Approve Joint Final Rule on Uncleared Swap Margin Requirements," Client Alert. November 2, 2015.
Honors & Awards
- Chapman and Cutler's 2016 Pro Bono and Volunteer Achievement Award
- Empire State Counsel Honoree for Pro Bono Service
- The Legal 500 United States, 2014