Chapman is pleased to be named to the Best Law Firms for Women 2022 list, published by Seramount (formerly Working Mother Media), for the fourteenth time. Each year, Seramount recognizes 50 law firms that significantly invest in recruiting, promoting, and retaining women lawyers and has again recognized Chapman’s “Hall of Fame” status (ten or more years on the list).
Chapman’s Chief Talent Officer, Stacey Kielbasa, plays a key role in leading and implementing the firm’s policies and programs with unique perspective, having started her career as a practicing attorney at Chapman. “We are honored to continue to be recognized for the work we do to develop and strengthen firmwide programs and policies focused on the success, well-being, and promotion of women attorneys. I am particularly proud of the actions and initiatives Chapman has taken to support women throughout the pandemic – doubling down on resources and supportive policies.”
Among Chapman’s initiatives tailored to support the careers of women attorneys recognized by Seramount:
- Women serve at the highest levels of Chapman leadership, which is comprised of a governing policy committee (33% women) and executive committee (50% women). Chapman’s hiring committee chair, partner review committee chair, two of the firm’s office leaders, and pro bono, professional development, diversity, wellness, and environmental sustainability partners are women. Chapman is also a Mansfield Rule 4.0 Certified Plus firm, achieving and surpassing the representation threshold (30%) for women, lawyers of color, LGBTQ+ lawyers, and lawyers with disabilities in a notable number of current leadership roles.
- Mentoring and sponsorship programs. This year’s scorecard recognizes Chapman’s mentoring and sponsorship programs that support career and practice growth, as well as future leadership opportunities.
- Agile policies. Chapman’s support for flexible and part-time schedules continue to help our women thrive in all stages of their careers.
- Women Attorneys Business Resource Group (BRG). Chapman’s Women Attorney BRG hosts networking events and mentoring sessions to help attorneys prepare for leadership roles. This year’s scorecard recognizes Chapman’s external programming, which includes a “Women’s Growth” learning series focused on leadership and professional development. Additionally, among the first client facing events to be held in-person following the pandemic were Chapman’s women in finance events.
- Working Parent Attorneys BRG. Chapman’s Working Parent Attorneys BRG offers resources and opportunities for attorneys to share parental experiences and insights, and provides input to firm leadership on additional programs and policies that support working parents.
- Chapman’s benefits include extensive gender-neutral parental leave as well as comprehensive benefits for same-sex couples; backup child care, elder care, and other care providing resources; child learning and engagement resources; private in-office wellness rooms for nursing mothers; and other employee assistance programs that provide support services for women and working parents.
- Representation and community impact. This year’s scorecard also recognizes Chapman’s pro bono and community programs as part of the firm’s United Nations Global Compact commitment, programs that focus on initiatives to protect the rights of women and children, including handling Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), asylum, and domestic violence cases, and supporting clinics to assist nonbinary and trans individuals.
“Our Best Law Firms for Women continue to improve in many critical areas,” said Subha V. Barry, president of Seramount. “Representation of women managing partners has increased significantly and we’ve seen progress for multicultural women lawyers at every level. Our firms recognize the importance of recruiting and retaining this important talent pool and have developed the family-friendly benefits to prove it. All of these combined are important steps toward parity.”