- Topic: Pension Funds
- Client AlertAlthough Not a Game Changer, Sun Capital Court Reverses Lower Court Regarding Private Equity Investment Fund’s Responsibility for Portfolio Company’s Pension LiabilityDecember 2, 2019
On November 22, in a fact-specific ruling, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit held that two separate, but related Sun Capital Partners Inc. private equity investment funds were not liable for the multiemployer plan withdrawal liability of a bankrupt portfolio company that the two funds co-owned.
- ArticleJournal of International TaxationAugust 2018
As an increasing number of jurisdictions have entered into intergovernmental agreements related to FATCA or agreed to mandate compliance with the OECD common reporting standard, exempt organizations are being asked to classify themselves in subscription agreements and forms provided to the investment vehicles.
- Client AlertDecember 6, 2017
Both the House and Senate versions of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act include a new provision that would impose an excise tax on the compensation paid by certain exempt organizations, including certain state and local governmental entities, if the compensation to a covered employee is more than $1 million.
- Client AlertNovember 3, 2017
On November 2, Representative Brady released the proposed text of the long-awaited federal income tax reform bill. The bill also includes a provision that appears aimed at subjecting public pension plans to unrelated business taxable income.
- Client AlertMarch 30, 2016
In a widely expected ruling, the Illinois Supreme Court has upheld a Cook County state court ruling holding that a state law, Public Act 98-641, reducing annuity benefits for employees and retirees of the City of Chicago, in exchange for increased contributions to certain pension funds, was unconstitutional.
- Client AlertRecent Changes in U.S. Tax Law May Affect Government Pension Plans That Invest in Partnerships and Limited Liability CompaniesClient AlertDecember 16, 2015
Recent changes to the tax law will require partnerships to pay tax at the partnership level on certain audit adjustments to partnership income, and these changes may affect government pension plans that invest in partnerships.
- Client AlertClient AlertMarch 17, 2014
Both House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp and President Obama have recently released proposed changes to certain pension and retirement plans in the Internal Revenue Code.
- Client AlertClient AlertMarch 13, 2014
Legislative proposals by House Ways and Means Committee Chair Dave Camp would expand the scope of the unrelated business taxable income rules so that state and local pension funds would be subject to tax on certain investment income, including, in some instances, income from investment funds.